Thread: What do you use to clean the vaginal area before cathting?

Blog Entries

What do you use to clean the vaginal area before cathting?

I have had a problem with skin breakdown in this area for many years. It develops little "fissions" that bleed when irritated. Went to my dermatologist a few years back and she said it was something caused by it being cleaned so much, but since I spray the area with Verericyn before cathing (and have had no UTI in 5 Yrs) I don't put much effort into cleaning it before the cath. I use baby wipes, so don't know if that makes it worse or not. I do know soap irritates it because when I take a shower, if I don't get the body wash off that area pretty quickly it will get re-irritated quickly and bleed. I went back to my derm. today to discuss it again because the little "splits" around that area (including the clitoris) bleed profusely while my husband and I have sex. Today she is saying that it might be caused by low estrogen and to go see a gynecologist and see if they recognize this skin issue as a symptom of low estrogen. Has anyone else had this issue and what DO you use to clean? BTW, I am 56 but have no other symptoms of Menopause so don't think that is issue.

Thanks,

Andy

At 56 your estrogen levels will be low even if you haven't hit menopause. Have you ever had a blood transfusion? Here in the US herpes is not a barrier for donors. You might ask for the blood test or a swabbing if an area is open on your next doctors visit. Don't get embarassed. Something like 70% of the US over 21 have either type 1 or 2. I have problems with betadine in that area so both in rehab and after I used a 3 to 1 mix of water to Hibiclens. You might want to try rinsing the area with plain tap water on gauze after cathing to get the excess vetricyn off. I've heard a lot of complaints about the regular use of baby wipes in that area. Maybe switch brands to one for sensative skin if you need to use them at home?
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Sue. No blood transfusion and no herpes. I'm going to try some natural Estrogen and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by tarheelandy View Post
    Thanks Sue. No blood transfusion and no herpes. I'm going to try some natural Estrogen and see if that helps.
    Let us know if it helps. I hit the double nickel this year and even the sensitive skin wipes aren't feeling great when we travel. I was surprised the Red Cross allows herpes but not the incredibly miniscule chance of a human varient of Cruetzfelt-Jacob disease even after 21 years since we lived in Europe. Hope you get relief soon.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Blog Entries
    I've had similar problems in the perineal area, and I have started spraying VVF Gel and then blotting with the gauze that comes with the cath kits and fanning the area dry. Seems to be helping...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury