Thread: Arizona caregiver services

Arizona caregiver services

Hi,

I am wondering if anyone in Arizona may be able to help answer some questions for me. I have Spinal Muscular Atrophy. My wife and are considering a move to the PHX area (Glendale, Mesa or Tempe). I currently live in Minnesota and just can't tolerate the cold long winters anymore. I am wondering what the Arizona caregiver (PAS?) programs are like for people with high level care needs? Here in Minnesota I qualify for 24/7 caregiver services (called PCA here) because I need help with all cares/activities and I use a Bi-PAP 8 hours or more per night so that qualifies me as ventilator rating so I get 24 hours per day of care. I hire all my own caregivers and a "Choice Agency" pays them ($11-12 per hour).

I'm curious what you have experienced with the care assessments for someone like me? Do you or do you know anyone who gets 24 hours per day of in-home P.A.S. care in AZ? Or are the amount of hours per day very limited?

Is it very difficult to find good caregivers there?

What is the average pay rate for caregivers there?

I am just trying to get as much info on the services there to help in our decision to move. We have 1 family member there and a couple friends moved there in the last year. We do have very good medicaid and care services in Minnesota, its just getting tough for me to function here in the winter that lasts 5 months.

Thanks for your time and any insight you can provide me!

I would seriously advise anyone who is not well off to not move to Arizona. The state health care programs have cut to the bare bones.

Is it really that bad? I've seen many articles where Arizona is rated #1 for people with disabilities. Are you on Medicaid there? How many caregiver hours per day did they give you?

Here in MN I work part time and am on the medicaid buy-in program for employed people with disabilities and have to pay 7% of all income (including SSDI) as a premium. But I get all my needs covered.

You would not get near that much in CA or in AZ from my experience.

Try contacting the ILC closest to where you plan to live for more detailed information about programs available to you, and what really is provided.

(KLD)

Do you have any examples of how many hours per day someone who is 100% physically unable to care for themselves has gotten on ALTCS? Yes I get 24 hrs per day here but could get by with 12 hrs per day there, if they go that high. ?

What would someone like me do there without a high amount of in-home care hours? I know there are a bunch of people with Duchense, SMA, CP, etc. in AZ, some curious how do you get the help you need?

Quote Originally Posted by steveo763 View Post
    Do you have any examples of how many hours per day someone who is 100% physically unable to care for themselves has gotten on ALTCS? Yes I get 24 hrs per day here but could get by with 12 hrs per day there, if they go that high. ?

What would someone like me do there without a high amount of in-home care hours? I know there are a bunch of people with Duchense, SMA, CP, etc. in AZ, some curious how do you get the help you need?
    AHCCS and ALTCS are amazing programs and the most cost-efficient in the nation. That said, living here, I know noone who gets 24/7 care. You'll have to use Olmstead if you truly need that level and that will be a long and arduous process. If you're thinking of moving to the Valley, I suggest you start with ABIL's PAS program and see what answers you get there.

http://www.abil.org/

http://www.abil.org/personal-care-assistant-services-2/

Yes, you can self-employ your caregiver on AHCCCS, it's a major PITA, but it can be done. Start with ABIL...
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

I'm able to do a lot for myself so I'm not sure about 100% disabled but when I was living on my own I got 39 hours a week which worked fine for me. I went through Mercy Care state insurance and home health insurance and what JenJen mentioned above, Arizona Bridge to Independent Living which provides caregiver services and does a lot of other stuff for us gimps. You may be tired of the cold winters but the Summers here get to 110? +, but it's a dry heat LOL.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.