Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone live in New York city?

Anyone live in New York city?

I'm thinking about applying for jobs in that area and if I am successful I'd have to spend the next 4 years in New York. From what I remember as an AB it's an awesome city to visit and seemed like a fun place to live... it also seemed incredibly inaccessible. I've never been back since my SCI.

Anyone got any insight into how liveable NYC is for a para in a chair? I'd be trying to live off of a salary in the low 50s and I just have to pay for myself to live (no spouse or kids), but I'd probably be working 60 plus hours a week, so public transport would have to be efficient and reliable. I understand rents are through the roof at the moment (as opposed to 2004 when I was last there and they were just obnoxiously high).

If anyone has any insight into how many accessible apartments are on the market (I suspect very few from my brief internet searches) that would be good as well.

I think the deafening silence is an adequate answer to my question. I kinda figured nobody in a chair would deal with the inaccessibility (and expense) of NYC for very long if they had the ability to move elsewhere.

I live about 40 miles from Manhattan. It is really true that if you could make it there, you can make it anywhere. One alternative for you could be commuting by train to New Jersey, Westchester county or Connecticut. Stamford has a lot of new apartments near the train station

Blog Entries
    I'm kinda surprised stephen212 hasn't chimed in. He lived in the 212 area code for many, many years. Hence his user name.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I worked in NYC as an AB. I haven't been back in 13 years. To be honest, I never saw one person in the city in a wheelchair. That aside, a salary in the low 50s would probably be very hard to manage. Rent there is extremely high.

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    I'm thinking about applying for jobs in that area and if I am successful I'd have to spend the next 4 years in New York. From what I remember as an AB it's an awesome city to visit and seemed like a fun place to live... it also seemed incredibly inaccessible. I've never been back since my SCI.

Anyone got any insight into how liveable NYC is for a para in a chair? I'd be trying to live off of a salary in the low 50s and I just have to pay for myself to live (no spouse or kids), but I'd probably be working 60 plus hours a week, so public transport would have to be efficient and reliable. I understand rents are through the roof at the moment (as opposed to 2004 when I was last there and they were just obnoxiously high).

If anyone has any insight into how many accessible apartments are on the market (I suspect very few from my brief internet searches) that would be good as well.
    Before moving to Los Angeles last year, I lived in NYC for 30 years or so including my entire SCI existence. For a para with good wheelchair skills, the city is more than navigable. 100% of city buses are accessible, though using them to travel long distances through clogged city traffic is less than efficient. Accessible subway stations are for the most part limited to the major hubs. Elevator outages are always a concern.

The far bigger issue is housing and I'm afraid I'm not much of a resource on this. I lived in a co-op apartment purchased in the early '90s. A salary in the low 50s will not land you in Manhattan unless you can find a roommate or two. I would suggest that you reach out to either Alex Elegudin and Yannick Benjamin at WheelingForward.org for housing guidance.

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    My want to take a look at living in Hoboken – – a quick path ride from the city, decent nightlife, and I suspect significantly cheaper.

And Stephen, I check out of commission for a while and you go and switch coasts on me… ?

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    Before moving to Los Angeles last year, I lived in NYC for 30 years or so including my entire SCI existence. For a para with good wheelchair skills, the city is more than navigable. 100% of city buses are accessible, though using them to travel long distances through clogged city traffic is less than efficient. Accessible subway stations are for the most part limited to the major hubs. Elevator outages are always a concern.

The far bigger issue is housing and I'm afraid I'm not much of a resource on this. I lived in a co-op apartment purchased in the early '90s. A salary in the low 50s will not land you in Manhattan unless you can find a roommate or two. I would suggest that you reach out to either Alex Elegudin and Yannick Benjamin at WheelingForward.org for housing guidance.

Good luck!
    LA winters must be nice break from NYC winters.

I lived in Manhattan for 8 years in late 1960's to early 1970's. Lived in two store front "apartments" on the Lower East Side, between Ave. B & C - there was a short ramp to get in. Moved to a first floor apartment between Ave. A & B, then Vladeck Houses, near the East River. The store fronts were about $40 per month in those days! Finally connected a decent place in the public housing place mentioned, with rent about $100 per month. I think public housing was available to a wheeler without consideration of income. I completed M.A. degree, got a job, bought a car, and met my future husband through participation in disability rights movement. All this with help from state/federal assistance and Rusk Institute job search help, and friends.
    In retrospect, my stay in NYC was life-changing. Found opportunities thrown in my path, and yes, setbacks for sure, but no regrets whatever.
    Will just add that I originally went to NYC as an employee of the Federal government poverty program - to live and work in depressed areas of the city. Pay was about $250 a month. Now that area is pricey!

Not lived in the city i live about 3 hours north. The winters are my worst issue. They are brutally long and cold and very hard to get anywhere in a chair in the snow. I mostly stay home because of this.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009