Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An item I found that might help some with wheelchair transfers.

Lightbulb An item I found that might help some with wheelchair transfers.

Check this out.

Here's a link.
    http://www.dash-surfer.com/features/

I saw the Dash Surfer and realized that it may be something that could be used to help make wheelchair transfers easier for some individuals. It's height is adjustable so you could raise it up for it to sit on whatever surface you may need to transfer to. You could by the item, or if you wanted to copy the design and make your own. What do you think?

No comments? All well, I thought some might find this item helpful, guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    No comments? All well, I thought some might find this item helpful, guess not.
    Do you have one to report on it's use? It just seems big and heavy as a transfer board. However using it for it's intended purpose looks very good indeed. I hate trying to twist around to work at stuff under the dash.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    Do you have one to report on it's use? It just seems big and heavy as a transfer board. However using it for it's intended purpose looks very good indeed. I hate trying to twist around to work at stuff under the dash.
    No sorry I don't. I'm sure others may also think it's quite big/heavy to use as a transfer board, but if it makes transfers easier for some people, the size and weight might not matter much to them. If weight and size are an issue one could build their own version to be smaller and lighter.

Where do you put your legs with that monstrosity?

. I hate trying to twist around to work at stuff under the dash.
    I recently got one of these for future dash work or floor transfer needs...seems rather cool!

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...730-10041.html

Wait for a big % coupon and It costs roughly 130 delivered. The deck is fairly heavy guage which would seem to be a good base for custom backrests and such. And if you don't like it, slap a 'medical' or wheelchair symbol on it and resell it for five times the price, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Where do you put your legs with that monstrosity?

I recently got one of these for future dash work or floor transfer needs...seems rather cool!

http://www.harborfreight.com/500-lb-...730-10041.html

Wait for a big % coupon and It costs roughly 130 delivered. The deck is fairly heavy guage which would seem to be a good base for custom backrests and such. And if you don't like it, slap a 'medical' or wheelchair symbol on it and resell it for five times the price, lol.
    I think the dash-surfer is too big as a transfer board, but using it to lie on one's back makes some sense. It's limited use is not much different than you more versatile harborfreight find.

I'm curious if a 12 volt actuator could replace the hydraulic ram on it. What are your thoughts?
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Now I actual can report on its use, as I decided to purchase a Dash Surfer about three months ago. I bought it to use mostly for tranfers in my house. It's very well built, definitely overbuilt for what I'm using it for and it can be quite heavy if you were to try to pick it up, I don't pick it up, I just lift it/tip it from the opposite end that rests on the floor and slide it over to where I need to use it.

Since quite a few people on the forum don't actually have a spinal cord injury, hence sometimes it hard to know the usefulness of recommendations, can you tell us you level if you have SCI? I can transfer in and out of a car without a board but my shoulders are getting shot. That thing looks big and it would seem easier to just get a board to put under my butt and then onto the driver's seat and slide that way. Do you transfer from your chair to that to you car? How do you get it out of the way and then get your chair in the car, it seems like your chair would be out of reach.

Quote Originally Posted by DestinationUnknown View Post
    Now I actual can report on its use, as I decided to purchase a Dash Surfer about three months ago. I bought it to use mostly for tranfers in my house. It's very well built, definitely overbuilt for what I'm using it for and it can be quite heavy if you were to try to pick it up, I don't pick it up, I just lift it/tip it from the opposite end that rests on the floor and slide it over to where I need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Since quite a few people on the forum don't actually have a spinal cord injury, hence sometimes it hard to know the usefulness of recommendations, can you tell us you level if you have SCI? I can transfer in and out of a car without a board but my shoulders are getting shot. That thing looks big and it would seem easier to just get a board to put under my butt and then onto the driver's seat and slide that way. Do you transfer from your chair to that to you car? How do you get it out of the way and then get your chair in the car, it seems like your chair would be out of reach.
    I don't have a SCI, but I do have a debilitating medical condition that causes me to need to use a wheelchair. Yes the Dash Surfer is big and for some people I'm sure a standard style transfer board would work just fine. I originally purchased it in hopes to use to transfer into my vehicle and to use in my house, but it's just too heavy to lug around and use to transfer into my vehicle by myself. I still may use it for those times that I have to transfer into someone elses vehicle, just as long as they're able to help me move it around. Currently I use it most for transfers on my stair lift from my wheelchair. As for getting it out of my way, I just tip it onto its end and stand it up out of my way. Obviously the Dash Surfer wouldn't be much help for everyone, but I thought some may find it useful.

Thanks for the info. Any transfer equipment is of interest to my husband and I, both older wheelers. We seriously are looking at this item. There are some situations where it might be handier than a transfer board. The reported weight of it could be an issue, but if it could be tilted and pushed, might be workable.