Thread: Stamina getting worse and worse

Stamina getting worse and worse

I've been experiencing gradually worse stamina for about 10 years. Every six months I'm up fewer hours per day than previously.

Now it has gotten to the point where I just get up, do errands and ADL, and am ready to get back to bed from just exhaustion or some discomfort. I am probably up out of bed 6-7 hours a day total, sometimes less.

I don't think it is a UTI because (a) it has been gradually worsening for a decade, and (b) I have no other UTI symptoms.

What should I do? If this keeps up, in a year or two I will barely be able to get out of bed at all.

Many people report that increasing fatigue is a major problem with aging in SCI. I would want to be sure that you don't have other medical programs causing this before making the assumption that it is just aging. Your PCP should check out the following: screen for any cardiac disease, check your thyroid function, and check your testosterone levels. All 3 can cause problems with severe fatigue.

Mild aerobic exercise (swimming, Tai Chi, yoga) can also help for many.

Planning rest periods during the day, and also pacing yourself and choosing activities that you want to do (versus those you have told yourself you have to do but don't really enjoy) to participate in will also help. Many OTs can help you identify energy conservation techniques to add to your daily routines that will help as well.

(KLD)

Checked your profile but don't know if this would help. My husband and I are awaiting delivery of a rickshaw. We've noticed decline in ability to transfer and want to try an exercise program of "dips". Will start out very light, for me, maybe no weights at all, then very gradually add on. When I was in rehab. for bout of pneumonia, the rickshaw equipment helped me a lot with transfers.

I think it would be a good idea to look into your diet and nutritional status - you might have iron deficiency anemia and/or low Vitamin D or B levels (for example). Ask your physician to check that out when you get the bloodwork SCI-Nurse recommends.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

xsfxsf, I do not know how old you are but aging can take a toll on stamina. As KLD said, you really should have a thorough medical workup. Things like hypothyroidism can creep in there. Often docs (and us) get so focused on bladder, bowel, and skin issues that we forget the other systems.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Checked your profile but don't know if this would help. My husband and I are awaiting delivery of a rickshaw. We've noticed decline in ability to transfer and want to try an exercise program of "dips". Will start out very light, for me, maybe no weights at all, then very gradually add on. When I was in rehab. for bout of pneumonia, the rickshaw equipment helped me a lot with transfers.
    Rickshaws are good for developing triceps, but they have a serious downside. They take a toll on shoulder joints just like wheeling and transfers do. It is much safer to use wall pulleys or exercise rubberbands so that unflexing the arm at the elbow works the triceps.

I'm about 50 for those who asked.

Is there any chance this could be bladder colonization? I know I am colonized but have no other symptoms of that except slight cloudiness/odor: no fever, nausea. Also, I feel OK for several hours right after I awake but I get tired so fast. When I have had UTIs, I am tired all the time and sometimes can barely move. So I don't think it's the same thing, but maybe I should try a course of antibiotics just to be sure?

Also, I did go the doctor last year for this, he gave me a bunch of blood tests but found nothing. I will doublecheck with KLD's suggestions though.
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 04-29-2014 at 03:19 PM.

I wouldn't do antibiotics if only guessing. Have you checked out what is written here about Microcyn? Maybe you have some kind of a burn out? Fatigue could be stress related. What did change in your life when the loss of energy began?

Regine is correct. You should not take antibiotics unless they are necessary, and then only when which antibiotic will kill the specific bacteria causing the problem has been determined. The test is called a culture and sensitivity. It tells what bacteria you have, how many there are, and what antibiotic is indicated to control it. SCIs always have a limited number of various bacteria in their urinary tract and the numbers are kept down by the immune system. Taking antibiotics when unnecessary or inappropriately only increase the chance that you will develop bacteria that are more resistant to treatment.

Also what medications are you on? Some medications have side effects that include fatigue.

Some people have found that 4-AP has helped with this fatigue issue. It is used for people with MS for that reason sometimes (Ampyra). If everything else is ruled out as above, talk to your doctor and see if they will order it off-label for you. There may be an issue getting insurance to cover it though...

(KLD)