Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Modified All-Terrain Third Wheel

Hi all. I'm sorry to have disappeared. My life seems to work that way. I struggle with focus, so I will get lost many times. And then my partner that helps with my fabrication just had an anuerysm a few months ago that he survived, but it has left him unable to live outside of a rehab facility for a while. I have devoted a good bit of my time to talking with him in the hopes it will bring him back. My wife was none to happy, but understands that if I don't, he will be left fairly alone. The good news is he's making reasonable recovery and he may be able to join the world soon.
    nonoise - the Quickie Shadow wheelchair you have shown is pretty much what I have in mind. A single rectangular backbone from rear axle to front wheel. I like their design. Thank you for sharing that. I'm going to research that further.
    Lin - I have nothing against Freewheel except finances. And the fact that I've always liked to do for myself when I thought a solution was striaghtforward.
    I came from a world where everything was easy for me. I'm not quite used to this "new" being that struggles with even more mundane tasks. Regardless, I will continue to pursue these projects of mine. Even though you haven't seen me here, I've been very busy with various projects, some mobility related, some not.

Same issue with me then, about the freewheel. I've wondered if I could get a freewheel through voc rehab, they're buying me a new chair and wheelchair lift along with power assist device. I started thinking though that it might be a bad idea to use the power assist device out in snow without a freewheel! I currently don't go out in snow or slush at all without assistance, and even then I rarely go out in that at all. But its not like I can call work and say "hey sorry I can't come in today because the parking lot/sidewalks aren't cleared yet" With the smart drive, using "indoor" mode wouldn't help me at all in the snow since it cuts out with any resistance. And outdoor mode would keep going, only if my casters got packed or too deep I could be launched forward out of my chair. Probably resulting in losing a lot more work. So I'm trying to figure out if I want to try to fundraise for a freewheel/save up, or see if I can get it through voc rehab. At the rate they move anyway I probably won't be working this winter and have until next to figure it out!

And then still considering my ghetto wheel for my Q7. I was wondering if my dad could fabricate the wedge of wood for me. Do the length as short as possible, and if it works buy an aluminum support to attach to the wood for strength so it doesn't go crack along the length. The pneumatic plate casters in my price range all seem to be wider than I want though, I don't really want 4" wide. I'd rather have 2". I tried asking a seller of just the plate caster fork if it would be able to be used with a 2" wheel and spacers but got no reply. I thought if I bought the wheel separately I might be able to do the exact diameter and width I want since I can't find it in the combination ready to go.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

We still have not finished our Modified All-Terrain Third Wheel based on a FireFly/DragonFly attachement. Hopefully someday soon...

I thought I would show two other recent entries to the market. The text is copied from the manufacturer's site. I've sent e-mails to inquire about price, and also if the RGK FrontWheel mounting clamps might possibly work with a TiLite ZRA with a tube diameter of 1.25" / 31.75 mm, because it looks similar to the TIGA fx.

Decon Adventus

Adventus is an accessory which will make operati ng your wheelchair on rough ground signifi cantly easier, for example in the garden, on the beach or on paths. Even on normal surfaces you will be much more comfortable because Adventus gives a soft er ride.

• Weight: 2,4 kg
    • Dimensions: 12? X 2?
    • Height: ca. 350 mm from the floor
    • Length: ca. 480 mm in front of footplate
    • Fits to footplates: ca. 60 - 120 mm road clearance with standard front fork , ca. 60 - 150 mm road clearance with extended front fork
    • Needed space for mounting: 36 mm (space between feet).
    • Price: unknown

RGK FrontWheel

Developing solutions to improve your way of living is what we thrive on everyday which is why we have designed the FrontWheel. It enables you to travel across grass, cobbles, mud, gravel and other uneven ground easily by keeping your front castor wheels off the floor at all times when you move in any direction, including backwards.

• 200x50 pneumatic tyre with anti-flutter fork
    • Quick release handles to activate and release
    • Robust three point connection to frame
    • Retro fit to any TIGA/TIGA fx via mounting clamps
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    We still have not finished our Modified All-Terrain Third Wheel based on a FireFly/DragonFly attachement. Hopefully someday soon...

I thought I would show two other recent entries to the market. The text is copied from the manufacturer's site. I've sent e-mails to inquire about price, and also if the RGK FrontWheel mounting clamps might possibly work with a TiLite ZRA with a tube diameter of 1.25" / 31.75 mm, because it looks similar to the TIGA fx.

Decon Adventus

Adventus is an accessory which will make operati ng your wheelchair on rough ground signifi cantly easier, for example in the garden, on the beach or on paths. Even on normal surfaces you will be much more comfortable because Adventus gives a soft er ride.

• Weight: 2,4 kg
    • Dimensions: 12? X 2?
    • Height: ca. 350 mm from the floor
    • Length: ca. 480 mm in front of footplate
    • Fits to footplates: ca. 60 - 120 mm road clearance with standard front fork , ca. 60 - 150 mm road clearance with extended front fork
    • Needed space for mounting: 36 mm (space between feet).

RGK FrontWheel

Developing solutions to improve your way of living is what we thrive on everyday which is why we have designed the FrontWheel. It enables you to travel across grass, cobbles, mud, gravel and other uneven ground easily by keeping your front castor wheels off the floor at all times when you move in any direction, including backwards.

• 200x50 pneumatic tyre with anti-flutter fork
    • Quick release handles to activate and release
    • Robust three point connection to frame
    • Retro fit to any TIGA/TIGA fx via mounting clamps
    Either patd licensed his design, his patents expired (or never went through), or that Advantus is a complete ripoff of his Freewheel by an unscrupulous international patent law ignoring outfit!! Wow.

I do like that the front clamp appears much wider on the Advantus, which could minimize the minor twisting action I get on the Freewheel from time to time.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I kind of wondered the same about the Decon Adventus. It looks a heck of a lot like the Freewheel. I'll shoot him off a message, just in case he is not aware of it.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).