Thread: great training day. spring in ohio.

great training day. spring in ohio.

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Looking good John. Amazing the difference the aero effect has when laying back reclined. I finally have my Force setup properly and on the flat I cruise along around 16 to 17 with no draft (no wind) whereas sitting up straight on the other bike I was around 20 percent slower. I'm training for the Vermont Marathon which is the end of May, done it for the past 8 years now and yep the fastest I ever did it was on my laid back Varna, that was 2006 as I remember and I finished 2nd, my best time. You'd think I woulda learned something from that and stuck with the Aero laid back bikes, but nope I rode a bike where I was flat out into the wind upright had no drafting partners and did 10 to 15 minutes slower every year after that. My goal is this year is to break 2 hours. You should sign up for the Vermont Marathon if it's not too late, it's a challenge, lots of hills. This will be a challenge for me doing under 2 hours as I'm 8 years older now than when I did 2:01. But I do think I'm faster on the Force than I was on the Varna so we will see.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Looking good John. Amazing the difference the aero effect has when laying back reclined. I finally have my Force setup properly and on the flat I cruise along around 16 to 17 with no draft (no wind) whereas sitting up straight on the other bike I was around 20 percent slower. I'm training for the Vermont Marathon which is the end of May, done it for the past 8 years now and yep the fastest I ever did it was on my laid back Varna, that was 2006 as I remember and I finished 2nd, my best time. You'd think I woulda learned something from that and stuck with the Aero laid back bikes, but nope I rode a bike where I was flat out into the wind upright had no drafting partners and did 10 to 15 minutes slower every year after that. My goal is this year is to break 2 hours. You should sign up for the Vermont Marathon if it's not too late, it's a challenge, lots of hills. This will be a challenge for me doing under 2 hours as I'm 8 years older now than when I did 2:01. But I do think I'm faster on the Force than I was on the Varna so we will see.
    You may be getting older, Curt, but your profile pics are getting younger and younger.

Good luck with your training!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    im glad u got the force setup. it does make a huge difference. my race plate is full for this year maybe next. keep me posted on your training.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Although I'm not sure it will make as much a difference as I think it might with a Marathon like Vermont as it's a lot of long hill climbs. In a Marathon like Melbourne Fl or NY I'm sure the difference in times would be much greater. The trick to making this Force work for me was extending out the hand grips just an inch on each side. I've got the crank all the way up, the seat laid back all the way and for whatever reason I'm not even close to rubbing the backs of my arms on the wheels. This Force 2 must be different in some way than the original regular 2010 Force I had and got rid of. With the seat all the way back on that bike my arms rubbed the rear wheels bad? Do you know if there is any difference between the original Force and the Force 2 John? The other thing I did was to build up the middle part of the seat as it contoured way too much for me, my back does not bend like that, I think something to do with the way it fused originally when I broke it. Now that the backrest is fairly flat, I'm much more comfortable, maybe that's the reason my arm backs are not rubbing the wheels as it pushes me forward a few inches. I straightened the seat back by stuffing some old t shirts under the upholstery on the backside of the seat back and then zippering it up. Other people may want to try this idea to get more forward and lay the seat back further to sit better and avoid hitting the rear wheels.

When is your next Marathon John?

I really miss Andy Barker at the Vermont Marathon, he was a big help to me when I first started Racing, he died way too young, he was a great guy and missed a lot. Goes to show we gotta live every day to the max as it can all be taken so quickly.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Good stuff John. All the best Curt for your preparation for Vermont

curt,
    Cleveland in a few weeks......the force 2 has just a bit different geometry. im very surprised your not rubbing. but, im thrilled your able to use it.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

duplicate
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com