Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TNS Smartwheel all-terrain third wheel

TNS Smartwheel all-terrain third wheel

I just came across a new all-terrain third wheel option and wanted to share it. We have been been looking for something like this, because we need something that mounts on the front frame, and not on the footrest like the Freewheel.

Here is a link to the TNS Smartwheel (in Dutch). I've done a rough translation of the text below and plan to talk with them more about it soon.

Name:  article30377002.jpg
Views: 4223
Size:  36.6 KB

Smartwheel is a removable cross wheel which ensures that the front wheels of your wheelchair come from the floor 4 to 5 cm, so the wheelbase lengthens your wheelchair. As a result, you drive much lighter and obstacles such as curbs, forest trails, grass, etc. are much easier to overcome.

• Smartwheel is easy to disconnect, but not from the wheelchair unless you turn the front wheels on a threshold.
    • Installation is done by means of couplers, which are placed with terminal blocks onto your wheelchair.
    • For straight front frames, the standard couplers are included. For non-standard frames, other than diameter 30/32 mm frame tube, other terminal blocks are optionally available.
    • The frame color is black, with other colors on request. The rims are available in multiple colors or optional carbon.
    • Due to the permanent 90 degree head angle during cornering, this cross wheel in dynamics and rigidity by far the best solution.
    • Price: Euro 695 00 (including 6% VAT)
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I like this design. There is less stress on the footrest, and it looks like it has a more vertical caster angle.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Great upgrade!! I have been working on a similar idea for my power chair.

$695 Euro = almost $1000 USD.

It looks interesting though. I'm curious if there're any patent issues w/ the Freewheel.
    Last edited by -scott-; 04-24-2014 at 11:53 PM.

I don't see why there would be any patent issues with the Freewheel. There are other all-terrain third wheels that are more similar to the TNS Smartwheel that have been on the market for a longer time in Europe. Here is a rough overview on our website of some of them: All-Terrain Third Wheel Options.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    It looks interesting though. I'm curious if there're any patent issues w/ the Freewheel.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

nice product. less stress on the footrest plus more adjustment

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    I don't see why there would be any patent issues with the Freewheel. There are other all-terrain third wheels that are more similar to the TNS Smartwheel that have been on the market for a longer time in Europe. Here is a rough overview on our website of some of them: All-Terrain Third Wheel Options.
    Perhaps not, if the footrest is a unique part of the Freewheel's design patent.

Here's the text, if anyone wants to read into it. http://www.google.com/patents/US7735847 (TL;DR)

Yes, I have looked into it. Originaly we had hoped it would work, only to find out later that it would not. The adapter will not work because it needs horizontal side tubing of 1" or 1 1/8" in diameter. My husband's ZRA has no side tubing. Even if we could attach to the seat frame, it is 1.25" tubing, and I think it would be too high for the adapator hitch. I read in the specs the side tubing height is max. 16", and my husband front seat height is 18.5".

If anyone knows otherwise, I would be interested to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    @elarson, have you seen this Freewheel accessory
    Last edited by elarson; 04-25-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: typos

As I've seen on the website, I believe the maker of the FreeWheel will make a custom alteration for $50 additional. At least he does on the FreeWheel itself. As far as I can see, it's a simple alteration to get the correct height. I love the FreeWheel, but it's out of reach for me financially.
    I'm having a simple 3rd wheel setup made by a fabricator for a junk Q7. It's no good for most here because the backbone goes directly between the legs up high, but it's direct and strong. I hope to get done soon and I'll post pics so others can take ideas from it if they desire. It just takes so long for me to get anything done.