Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TNS Smartwheel all-terrain third wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Luziman View Post
    ...clip...
    I'm having a simple 3rd wheel setup made by a fabricator for a junk Q7. It's no good for most here because the backbone goes directly between the legs up high, but it's direct and strong. I hope to get done soon and I'll post pics so others can take ideas from it if they desire. It just takes so long for me to get anything done.
    I've done this with another chair and offer two bits of advice: look closely at how much the Freewheel trails the caster pivot bearing. Not enough trail and your setup won't track well. Get enough and it will track perfectly. Well it will track perfectly if you get what I'm calling the caster pivot bearing aligned perfectly. That shaft or steering axle if you prefer, needs to be at right angles to the ground.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I've done this with another chair and offer two bits of advice: look closely at how much the Freewheel trails the caster pivot bearing. Not enough trail and your setup won't track well. Get enough and it will track perfectly. Well it will track perfectly if you get what I'm calling the caster pivot bearing aligned perfectly. That shaft or steering axle if you prefer, needs to be at right angles to the ground.
    Thanks. That's actually the one point I don't have resolution yet. It was going to be trial-and-error. I used to work out the steering geometry for custom motorcycles to get perfect trail with long fronts ends, but that's steering & leading the back. I haven't figured that translates into dragging and/or trailing from the front. It drives me crazy when our caster wheels flutter.

@Luziman, I am also working on a third-wheel project. I'm trying to use the adaptor for a Firefly/Dragonfly. I have not had a lot of time to spend on it, but so far, I am thinking that the fork needs a negative rake of about 20? to 30? so that it rotates itself into position and trails properly. I'd be interested in hearing what you come up with.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Less angle might work, but I had these two spare exactly the same black parts to use for an extension to the fork. It tracks perfectly. This doesn't wobble either, but I punched the axle to tighten it up at the bearing surfaces so that plays into it too.
    Name:  aftersideSM.JPG
Views: 528
Size:  135.8 KB
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I like the look of the Stricker Lomo 360 3rd wheel attachment, it has a 16" wheel. 3 wheeled chairs are great for outdoors, I will post a pic of mine on here when I figure out how to.

This is another product by the same company that I think is interesting for it's design, the TNS Crossvoorzetwiel. It is specifically made for their TNS RSX wheelchair. What I like is the curved tube over the wheel that keeps it vertical for the caster pivot bearing, but also still allows for a negative rake so that it trails. The RSX appears to have a tubing diameter similar to the TiLite ZRA of 1.25", so maybe there is a chance that we could use something like this. I have no idea about what the price is, and there is not much information on their website.

Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by elarson; 04-26-2014 at 09:20 AM. Reason: images
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

I have just started a thread about the Modified All-Terrain Third Wheel we are working on. I thought it best to keep it apart from this product specific thread. I'd love to hear any input or suggestions any of you may have.

finally got a SmartWheel

So after 5 long years, we finally bought a SmartWheel. So far, it is working great and is a good solution for anyone who wants an all-terrain third wheel who can't use a FreeWheel. We couldn't use the FreeWheel because my husband's chair has individual flip-up footrests and we needed to attach it to the front frame. I really like that it is a nice wide tire and that it is a bit more compact than the FreeWheel. It also looks pretty cool if you ask me.
    Name:  R.J. Pit - Smartwheel 2.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  513.8 KBName:  TNS-Smartwheel_01.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  95.5 KBName:  TNS-Smartwheel_02.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  94.3 KB