Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Scientist receives $1.8M defense grant from Kessler Foundation for spinal cord injury

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Scientist receives $1.8M defense grant from Kessler Foundation for spinal cord injury

Published on April 18, 2014 at 2:19 AM

Kessler Foundation has been named awardee of a three-year grant for $1.8 million from the Department of Defense Spinal Cord Injury Research Program. Gail Forrest, PT, PhD, is principal investigator for the randomized, double-blinded, controlled, multi-site clinical trial, which will test strategies to improve bone and muscle strength after spinal cord injury. Dr. Forrest is assistant director of Human Performance & Engineering Research at Kessler Foundation. Two additional sites will participate - the University of Louisville-Frazier Rehab and the James J. Peters VA Medical Center, Bronx, New York. The study is slated to begin in the fall of 2014.

"We are pleased to share our decades of experience in spinal cord injury research to address the critical need for interventions to improve health and quality of life for individuals with SCI," said Rodger DeRose, president and CEO of Kessler Foundation. "Together with our collaborators, we have confidence that safe and effective solutions will be developed that minimize secondary complications of spinal cord injury.Within the first six months of spinal cord injury, rapid wasting of the muscle and bone occurs in the lower limbs, often resulting in osteoporosis. Many men also experience significant declines in serum testosterone levels. "These lead to further complications," noted Dr. Forrest, "including elevated risks for fractures, weight gain, cardiovascular disease, urinary tract infection, and pressure ulcers - all of which adversely affect quality of life, and raise the costs of care. This is why developing interventions to address bone and muscle loss is so important.

Kessler Foundation proposes a three-armed intervention strategy for treating muscle and bone called the "Activity-Dependent Rehabilitation Model" - combination therapy with stand training, testosterone replacement therapy, and electrical stimulation. This strategy is likely to yield interventions readily transferable to clinical care," said Dr. Forrest.
    Across the three sites, 56 men with subacute to chronic SCI and low testosterone levels will be enrolled and randomized into one of 4 groups: 1) Stand Training only; 2) Stand+Electrical Stimulation; 3) Stand Training+ Testosterone; 4) Stand Training+Testosterone+Electrical stimulation. Each research participant will complete 60 sessions of training.

Source:
    http://www.news-medical.net/news/20140418/Scientist-receives-2418M-defense-grant-from-Kessler-Foundation-for-spinal-cord-injury-research.aspx

I don't really get it because it's obvious that those three things they cite do help out. I do everything but the Testosterone because of my fear of blood clots and I know both Standing and FES keeps me more healthy.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

There goes the DOD's equal opportunity dictum again.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    There goes the DOD's equal opportunity dictum again.
    Can you be more clear on that?

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    Can you be more clear on that?

Paolo
    I don't see an equal study in women substituting, say, calcium and Vitamin D for the testosterone.

And studies that can prove this does preserve bones help those in many countries get insurance to cover home standers so we maintain our bones until regeneration cures happen. This is not a rehab instead of cure thing but a rehab until cure thing.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Ok Sue, but you seem to assume there are enough money in the field to cover all areas of research.
    I don't think this is the case, so priorities need to be set.
    In my opinion this kind of study is not totally useless (just almost), but should have low priority.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

I want to know more about what "stand training" as well as "stand training + FES" actually consists of. I'm guessing its more than just standing in a standing frame with your legs getting zapped. On the other hand, that would be something a lot of people could do at home, so it is a practical idea. Hopefully more information will be available soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsonite View Post
    I want to know more about what "stand training" as well as "stand training + FES" actually consists of. I'm guessing its more than just standing in a standing frame with your legs getting zapped. On the other hand, that would be something a lot of people could do at home, so it is a practical idea. Hopefully more information will be available soon.
    Actually that is probably exactly what they are testing. They have to baseline it with a "control" i.e. stand training. I would argue that the "novelty" of the protocol is the Testosterone element...

We published a recent paper on Bone Density and Activity Based Therapy in JSCM "Effect of Chronic Activity-Based Therapy on Bone Mineral Density and Bone Turnover in Persons with Spinal Cord Injury" http://www.projectwalk.org/Research/...k-Research.asp

We found a decrease in the rate of bone loss after SCI in our subjects with newer injuries. Training included load bearing activities (standing etc.) as well as FES. The research is still continuing and will be until ~2015.

We were able to secure a grant from the NIH for this research...just not $1.8 million!
    Last edited by Snowman; 04-22-2014 at 12:19 PM.

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

The conclusion has been known for years. Hell even the bone loading in elderly by exercise or weights has demonstrated effectiveness in slowing loss of bone density. Spending any more research dollars on this is less than useful.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    what about the vibrating plate?

Standing on a vibrating plate. Combine the stander with a vibrating plate etc. Preferably one that is programmable so it for examples vibrates for 30 seconds, stops and runs through various frequencies and amplitudes.