Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Scientist receives $1.8M defense grant from Kessler Foundation for spinal cord injury

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    There's not enough money in all the SCI orgs combined to conduct the necessary basic research experiments that need to be done to transition a good therapy. Hence, it's ridiculous for people in the community to attempt destruction of the government funding mechanisms on the state and national levels or attempt to deter private investors and companies from pushing forward. Setting priorities is critical but the funding has to be in place to begin with. If it's been destroyed, then all the efforts start over from ground zero and decades are lost along with key personnel that move into other more stable fields of research and pharma moves focus into areas that have results and discovery taking place. New students and post docs are deterred from even entering the SCI field if there's no funding there. We need to expand the field of SCI regeneration research and rehabilitation with as many government and private dollars as possible, not tear it apart piece by piece.
    To be clear, I don't advocate calling for any defunding from the gov't or any donor just because it is not used for cure research. I do think that SCI organizations (unless they clearly label themselves to public as Non-cure focused) , using unrestricted money, should be pouring most of their money into basic regenerative cure research. And SCI population (those that actually dislikes their injury) should be demanding it. If they only knew.

Perhaps if SCI organizations were more regeneration cure focused, they would receive more government grants in that area.

@Nowhere Man: A serious question.

I am not clear in this thread who the "SCI organizations" are. CDRF, Miami Project or university based research centers ? Or am I totally missing the types you might be referring to ?

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    To be clear, I don't advocate calling for any defunding from the gov't or any donor just because it is not used for cure research. I do think that SCI organizations (unless they clearly label themselves to public as Non-cure focused) , using unrestricted money, should be pouring most of their money into basic regenerative cure research. And SCI population (those that actually dislikes their injury) should be demanding it. If they only knew.

Perhaps if SCI organizations were more regeneration cure focused, they would receive more government grants in that area.
    I mostly agree with you.

The SCI orgs I am thinking of are all this (just to start from):

http://www.campaignforcure.org/

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

You expect me to have evidence for a prediction about the future? Or, are you looking for evidence that the spinal cord is a more complex organ than bone/muscle?

Side note:

This was written by Dr. Wise Young:

Can we reverse nerve, muscle and bone atrophy?

It takes time and a lot of work but activity can and will reverse the bone and muscle loss. For example, recent studies suggest that even completely denervated muscles can be restored with intense electrical stimulation. Astronauts who stay for prolonged periods of time in microgravity lose bone just like people in spinal cord injury but bone will return as the person spends time weight bearing in normal gravity.
    Please provide evidence muscle tissue and bone tissue are "much simpler" than spinal cord tissue.
    Last edited by crabbyshark; 05-02-2014 at 08:38 PM.

To be clear, I don't advocate calling for any defunding from the gov't or any donor just because it is not used for cure research.
    Yes, I understand. Also to be clear, not all sci orgs receive government grants or funds. For instance, the U2FP org mentioned earlier in hypothetical musings simply doesn't get any government money grants in which to distribute research funds. None, and never have. It's a non-profit that survives on private donations and volunteers. U2FP was however able to drive over a million donor dollars into sci chronic research projects and equipment. Donors can get assistance on their chronic project donations and also other foundations utilize the Scientific Advisory Board there to have potential projects reviewed for them. U2FP also holds the the signature Working 2 Walk annual symposium for the community to learn about research and advocacy and then the videos are posted of the presentations that were there. (There are other large sci orgs however that do get government funding to distribute grants but U2FP is not among them). There are other sci orgs that also operate on company donations and spend 100% of private donor funds for research. Some have grant calls for chronic as well as acute research. University based foundations are yet another story. One would think regeneration cure focus would entice more private donations and government grants but it doesn't especially seem to. A lot of it is probably a struggling economy.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 05-03-2014 at 02:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crabbyshark View Post
    Please provide evidence muscle tissue and bone tissue are "much simpler" than spinal cord tissue.
    Congratulations! You win at sinking me down to your level.

"Nerve tissue is the most complex tissue in the body. It is the substance of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Nerve tissue requires more oxygen and nutrients than any other body tissue. The basic cell of the nerve tissue is the neuron (fig. 1-12). This highly specialized cell receives stimuli from, and conducts impulses to, all parts of the body."

http://medical.tpub.com/14295/css/14295_16.htm

"Regenerative medicine to date has made a number of advances in the field of simple tissues such as skin, bone, and cartilage." (pg.8)

http://medicine.osu.edu/regenerative...2020vision.pdf

Most importantly, as a system...

The central nervous system (CNS) is the most complex system in the body, able to function both as a self-contained unit and the coordinating centre for activities of the peripheral nervous system (PNS), skeletal muscles and other organ systems.

The CNS is composed of three principal structures: the brain, brainstem and spinal cord.

https://www.inkling.com/read/underwoods-pathology-clinical-approach-cross-6th/chapter-26/central-nervous-system-normal

"Yes, I understand. Also to be clear, not all sci orgs receive government grants or funds. For instance, the U2FP org mentioned earlier in hypothetical musings simply doesn't get any government money grants in which to distribute research funds. None, and never have. It's a non-profit that survives on private donations and volunteers. U2FP was however able to drive over a million donor dollars into sci chronic research projects and equipment. Donors can get assistance on their chronic project donations and also other foundations utilize the Scientific Advisory Board there to have potential projects reviewed for them. U2FP also holds the the signature Working 2 Walk annual symposium for the community to learn about research and advocacy and then the videos are posted of the presentations that were there. (There are other large sci orgs however that do get government funding to distribute grants but U2FP is not among them). There are other sci orgs that also operate on company donations and spend 100% of private donor funds for research. Some have grant calls for chronic as well as acute research. University based foundations are yet another story. One would think regeneration cure focus would entice more private donations and government grants but it doesn't especially seem to. A lot of it is probably a struggling economy."

That is why U2FP is the best SCI organization out there for anyone who wants to see a chronic SCI cure. Eventually the SCI community will figure that out.

LOL! Remember mistakes are meant for learning, not repeating

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

"Nerve tissue is the most complex tissue in the body. It is the substance of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves. Nerve tissue requires more oxygen and nutrients than any other body tissue. The basic cell of the nerve tissue is the neuron (fig. 1-12). This highly specialized cell receives stimuli from, and conducts impulses to, all parts of the body."

http://medical.tpub.com/14295/css/14295_16.htm

"Regenerative medicine to date has made a number of advances in the field of simple tissues such as skin, bone, and cartilage." (pg.8)

http://medicine.osu.edu/regenerative...2020vision.pdf

Most importantly, as a system...

The central nervous system (CNS) is the most complex system in the body, able to function both as a self-contained unit and the coordinating centre for activities of the peripheral nervous system (PNS), skeletal muscles and other organ systems.

The CNS is composed of three principal structures: the brain, brainstem and spinal cord.

https://www.inkling.com/read/underwoods-pathology-clinical-approach-cross-6th/chapter-26/central-nervous-system-normal
    A paragraph saying nerve tissue is the most complex tissue in the body is not evidence spinal cord tissue is the most complex tissue in the body.

Where's your solid evidence bone tissue and muscle tissue are much simpler than spinal cord tissue?? What tissue is the bone made up of? What tissue is the spinal cord made up of? Dogma and assumptions do not constitute evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by void View Post
    Loads of scientist disagree, you got something more to back that up with than your personal opinions or should we just regard it as a figment of your imagination?
    Watch this video. Let me know what you think after you watch it.

http://news.sciencemag.org/health/20...al-cord-injury

Quote Originally Posted by void View Post
    Why do you use Wise as a source when you consider his opinions worth nothing quite often here?
    I used Dr. Wise as a source because that is the only person that I know for sure that this community listens to. If the community believes this then I don't see the point in spending 1.8 million in studying bone/muscle in SCI. It was irrelevant to our discussion anyways. I'm not saying Dr. Young is right or wrong here. There very well need to be bone regeneration from an outside source in order to reverse severe osteoporosis. There might not be the need.

However, the study (what this thread was originally about) uses a standing frame + FES. Basically, it is just stimulating the muscles and putting stress on it. Guess what else can do that? Being able to move your legs voluntarily (after a cure). So I personally don't see the need for 1.8 million to go to test this, when a cure would be just as useful as recovering bone density & muscle mass. Especially when having strong bone/muscle are useless in a paralyzed limb! So again, a "cure" should be main focus. Don't put the cart ahead of the horse.