Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry skin on my backside

Dry skin on my backside

I seem to have different spots on my backside that get real dry skin and turn white and hard like a calous. My doc told me to use Desitin but that doesn't seem to help soften it at all. Have had some issues where the skin cracks around it. Does anyone else have an issue like this and what do you use to soften the skin?

I would recomend Eucerin ointment that is made for diabetics. It comes in a tube and costs about $5/tube (at Target). It should help to soften the area and heal the cracks. The main ingredient in it is petroleum jelly, but it seems to absorb quicker than a vaseline.
    CKF

My son gets the same thing and I use Aloe Vesta protective cream and it seems to help that.

For dry skin, I prefer CerVe Moisturizing Cream. It comes in a large tub and goes a long way. Available at most drug stores.

For some extra healing and protection, I like Calmoseptine Ointment, also available at drugstores. You may have to have it ordered in to the pharmacy for Over the counter purchase.

All the best,
    GJ

Lots of options here.
    ckf

This is one benefit of finally being able to take baths again. When you are sitting on something to shower that area doesn't slough off dead skin cells as well. I found my first long soak took off so many layers of dead and old skin cells that I had to watch how long I sat up for about two weeks. But using the moisturizer did keep my skin from ever cracking for at least 20 years.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Kind of thought that was part of my problem not being able to soak in a tub. Wish I had a lift to soak.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    Kind of thought that was part of my problem not being able to soak in a tub. Wish I had a lift to soak.
    Do you have help that can spend some time changing warm, damp cloths to the dry area and after it seems thoroughly soaked give it a light rub down with a wash cloth to try and buff some of the dead skin off? If you do this after using moisturizer twice a day for maybe a week it might help. I would not use a gritty scrub to do this. Yes, the lift was definitely worth it!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Amlactin cream made all the difference for me .. and I have tried loads of moisterurizers!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I use E45 and Cavilon but neither really do the business re. the dry patch and callous I've had on my right buttock for the last 20yrs., all suggestions gratefully received.