Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My van was broken into.

$70 will get you a wireless camera that has night-vision:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8910W...eywords=foscam

We have two of these for our house. One caught a teenage girl stealing our daughter's powerwing from our driveway in the middle of the day. With the video, we were able to call the cops, find out who it was, and scare the crap out of her (by her having to be questioned by the cop)... hopefully teaching her a good lesson. The camera works better over a wired connection vs the wireless connection (more frames per second when viewing/recording). You can also view the live video on an iPhone, probably android phones too. I don't know if this would be a good solution for you where you live, but I thought I'd share because it works well for us.
    Last edited by nayr; 04-18-2014 at 09:57 AM.

You leave the van unlocked so they don't break the window to get in. Getting the window fixed is either expensive or will raise your insurance. Just learn to look in the car before you get in so no bum is sleeping in the back seat. Thief's don't care much about camera's, lights or alarms. They are quick, grab and go. Someone that would steal you van will break the window or jimmy the door, be in and gone in seconds. Van's aren't high theft targets, not cool enough. If you leave it open for a couple weeks they will realize there is nothing in it and leave it alone. Take some small pieces of paper and catch them in the bottom of the doors. If any are missing or on the ground, you know someones been in the van.

Kids are always after change in the console - I'm pretty sure it was just teens or something. I've had the same happen - even went through my trunk. The funny part is that there was an entire box of catheters in there that I'd picked up mistakenly while getting foley caths. I do hope they're using them as straws and have no idea what they're for. lol Never leave anything of value in vehicles. I've seen people lose jewelry, laptops, CD's, change, wallets with ID - all kinds of things.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by nayr View Post
    $70 will get you a wireless camera that has night-vision:

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8910W...eywords=foscam

We have two of these for our house. One caught a teenage girl stealing our daughter's powerwing from our driveway in the middle of the day. With the video, we were able to call the cops, find out who it was, and scare the crap out of her (by her having to be questioned by the cop)... hopefully teaching her a good lesson. The camera works better over a wired connection vs the wireless connection (more frames per second when viewing/recording). You can also view the live video on an iPhone, probably android phones too. I don't know if this would be a good solution for you where you live, but I thought I'd share because it works well for us.
    This looks interesting. I like how it has two way audio. If I see someone in the live video, I can say something like “Hey get away from my van.” through the speaker and be perfectly safe inside my apartment. LOL I would love to see the expression on the robber’s face when that happens. Seriously, I wonder if the video would be clear enough to actually identify the person.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    You leave the van unlocked so they don't break the window to get in. Getting the window fixed is either expensive or will raise your insurance. Just learn to look in the car before you get in so no bum is sleeping in the back seat. Thief's don't care much about camera's, lights or alarms. They are quick, grab and go. Someone that would steal you van will break the window or jimmy the door, be in and gone in seconds. Van's aren't high theft targets, not cool enough. If you leave it open for a couple weeks they will realize there is nothing in it and leave it alone. Take some small pieces of paper and catch them in the bottom of the doors. If any are missing or on the ground, you know someones been in the van.
    Oh I see your point about the windows. I never looked at it that way before. I think my van is pretty cool, but you are right some young teenager might not think so. That makes me feel a little better about it. Thanks. I am definitely going to try the paper idea. That is brilliant. 

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Kids are always after change in the console - I'm pretty sure it was just teens or something. I've had the same happen - even went through my trunk. The funny part is that there was an entire box of catheters in there that I'd picked up mistakenly while getting foley caths. I do hope they're using them as straws and have no idea what they're for. lol Never leave anything of value in vehicles. I've seen people lose jewelry, laptops, CD's, change, wallets with ID - all kinds of things.

That is hysterical! Those would be some very expensive straws. Lol Yeah, I’m not leaving anything of value in there anymore. It could have been much worse. I had a GPS hidden under a bag on one of the seats. I am very happy they didn’t find it. That Gps has been a life saver for me. I rely on it all the time. I am not exactly the greatest when it comes to finding my way around on the highways.

Hmmm.... Coincidental? These towns are 10 to 15 minutes away from where I live.

http://www.norwichbulletin.com/artic...NEWS/140429797

Call - it might mean another charge? Perhaps they could recover some items as well.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    Call - it might mean another charge? Perhaps they could recover some items as well.
    I would love it if whoever it was got additional charges. I've been told that some items were returned to other people. I doubt I will ever get any of my money back. I'm not even sure how much was taken. It wasn't a whole lot, so I'm not worried about that. I just don't like the idea that someone has been/is lurking about near the apartments here. It is a very comfortable feeling. Its better now, because I don't think about it as much. I'm glad they caught some of the people responsible.

That's pathetic though, they immediately released them on a $5,000.00 Surety bond. That's like a small slap on the wrist. They shoulda thrown them in the Slammer for at least a month or two and forced hard labor on them like picking up trash alongside the highways. Things are way to liberal lately.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    That's pathetic though, they immediately released them on a $5,000.00 Surety bond. That's like a small slap on the wrist. They shoulda thrown them in the Slammer for at least a month or two and forced hard labor on them like picking up trash alongside the highways. Things are way to liberal lately.
    Yeah, I miss the good old days when they still had road gangs with black and white striped uniforms...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    This looks interesting. I like how it has two way audio. If I see someone in the live video, I can say something like ?Hey get away from my van.? through the speaker and be perfectly safe inside my apartment. LOL I would love to see the expression on the robber?s face when that happens. Seriously, I wonder if the video would be clear enough to actually identify the person.
    I have a mini security camera to keep an eye on who is at my front door. It's tiny so nobody knows it's there but it has an amazingly clear picture despite it's small size. I hooked it up to a Tivo for recording. It works great.

Oh I see your point about the windows. I never looked at it that way before. I think my van is pretty cool, but you are right some young teenager might not think so. That makes me feel a little better about it. Thanks. I am definitely going to try the paper idea. That is brilliant. 
    Most of these losers won't even bother to check if it's unlocked, they'll break the window and THEN figure out it wasn't locked.