Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Big trouble antibiotic resistance

After a certain point, I would say, yes, a shrunken bladder is irreversible for most with current medical knowledge. I hear you on the urostomy. Tend to agree. I'd try short term with a urethral foley to see if that helps by letting you drink more or not. Definitely take the Vesicare or another anticholeragenic medicine to stop bladder spasms. That will help maintain your bladders flexibility longer. I would also work with an OT on your hands and wrists. While you may not be able to cath yourself now that doesn't mean it's permanent. Or you may decide once all these infections are gone to do an augment and cath through your belly button or side which you could probably manage on your own. I know this is not in favor in the US but if you try the foley and the infections disappear and do wait until you are clear start doing that vetricyn instillation for prevention and clamp the foley for 15 minutes at first and over many weeks build up. If you get AD at any time quit and talk with your urologist again. When I was acute in Germany they clamped it for short periods after about week 3 to see if I had feeling when my bladder filled and to maintain size. I could feel the front wall of my bladder right away and my only problem going to IC in rehab was less than clean much less sterile float nurses from the regular hospital doing mine.

Sorry, just want to clarify your understanding of "urostomy". Some detach the ureters from the bladder, attach them to a stoma site where they drain into a bag outside the body. A continent urostomy is much the same except the bag is formed inside you from parts of your small intestine and you insert a catheter to drain the bag. The biggie with these urostomies, for me, is the risk of kidney infections since the bladder is no longer there as an early warning system. When I say cath through your belly button the docs would increase the size of your bladder using part of the intestine and then they create a passage using, if still there, your appendix to a small hole in your belly button or to one side or another and you cath through that. Right now I would go with a basic urethral foley and see if meds and tons of liquid help. If you can knock out the bugs and get a decent read on urodynamics you can stay with regular CIC but less often or drink more and keep cathing every 4 after botox shots. That would be great if you can do that but first you need to kill the bugs. The current way isn't working so ask for some way to drink what you need with the help you have. Most uros get that. And the botox would keep your own bladder at a decent size longer. Right now is kind of like buying time with so many trials coming up.
    Last edited by Sue Pendleton; 05-19-2014 at 11:47 PM.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I hear what you're saying about buying time, but I honestly don't see anything coming from the trails for a long time, when it comes to maintaining bladder, bowels, sexual function etc. Do you agree? Anyways doing catheter every four hours isn't realistic, my entire day revolves around doing ICs, Im miserable enough as it is and can't do much as it is. It's just like an extra limitation, so I think the supra would be best I don't really care about it being irreversible I was curious. But thanks for the information.

Supra pubics are very easy to reverse except for the bladder shrinkage. So if you go that route do stay on the bladder medicines. They help with bladder spasms that can cause AD and help prevent reflux to your kidneys.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

james whats your level of injury?
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d