Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New TiLite

I'm going to be mainly using this chair indoors. Would still like to know which are options are better for indoors vs outdoors and why.

My husband has flip-back on one TiLite and swing-away on the other. Personally, we both like the flip-back better in tight spaces, but we have found that they need to be adjusted a lot if you use them for transfers. That is why we got the swing-asways for the new chair. Possibly I am just not doing something right when I adjust the flip-backs, but if they bear a lot of weight for transfers, I would go for swing-aways.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaz View Post
    Arm rests - I have used swing away. Has anyone used the flip back tubular?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Stan View Post
    I have used swing away arms rests for 30 years. I use them to help me transfer all the time. Especially helps when getting in and out of my truck which sits up higher(holds my weight and never bust). I also like them to pull things off store shelves that I can't reach. Also use them when I drop things that I can't get at. They help me retrieve what I drop.
    +1. Unless you are built like a gorilla, or have a short torso, they come in handy for transfers, etc.

Indoor, a narrow tire/wheel, both front and rear, will provide more maneuvering and easier to push indoors. This especially if carpet. Smaller diameter of wheel, especially rear, will give more maneuvering indoor. A Short wheelbase will do this as well. Reducing wheelbase will increase instability.

As a counter to a couple of Scott's replies, which is a great reply; I use the flip-back footrest and it is easier for me to transfer with the footrest flipped back; I can do it without flipping it back, but easier when flipped back. I also have a theory on where the casters align with the footrest bar that goes around the back, but that is another story.

Push handles are very subjective, I couldn't use a chair without them. I hook my arm around them constantly to reach for things and or stabilize myself.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Why not just get a demo for cheap on the ebay Tilite listings. Just keep looking until you find your right size and model and save big $$$.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

After reading some threads it appears that a lot favor the Frog Leg Unitines over what TiLite puts on the chair. Thinking about using chair mainly indoors so I may not need the Frog Leg for indoor use. Any opinions?
    My husband has spasms and seizures from a bumpy ride even inside the house. We had wanted Frog Legs, but could not get the chair configured well with them due to other constraints. I would be very interested in the new GL2 Glide™ Single-Sided Suspension Fork (made by Out-Front) if suspension is important. The nice thing about a single sided fork is that not as much hair gets caught in the casters. Unfortunately, we did not get a single sided fork, and I need to clean them out every few weeks.

Wheel Locks - I saw SureLocks or D's Locks mentioned These must be an option outside of what TiLite offers. Are these better than scissor or push/pull brakes? Can you install the Surelocks and D locks yourself?
    We have D's Locks and are very happy with them. They rock a little bit with Spinergy PBO Fiber spokes, but we find it workable.

Backs - When it comes to backs I would like to get a carbon fiber possibly to give me more support over those tension adjustable. Not sure which is best but was looking at ADI. Is folding or not folding an option? Maybe it can't fold if you have a carbon fiber back on it. Any opinions on folding vs non folding backs?
    We have an ADI backrest with a Folding Titanium Adjustable Height, Seat Back that Locks when Folded and are very happy with it. My husband has heavy hemiperesis and it supports him well. We needed folding to get it into a hatchback car.

Seats ? is a solid seat best?
    Very happy with the ADI Carbon Fiber Seatbase with ADI Carbon Fiber Folding Sideguards. Be sure to account for a solid base when measuring for seat height.

Push Handles? Was looking at the integrated fold down.
    As a care partner, I am a big fan of th4e Fold-Down Push Handles. People are not so prone to try to take over on pushing the chair, and in tight spaces they don't get hooked on things or bumped so much.

I know that was all a bit vague, but if you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to give input.

BTW, you did not mention your funding source, or possibly I just missed that. We bought a standard chair with many of the options purchased separately online because it was cheaper than getting it all from TiLite.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Very happy with the ADI Carbon Fiber Seatbase with ADI Carbon Fiber Folding Sideguards. Be sure to account for a solid base when measuring for seat height.

[/QUOTE]

What is the difference between ADI's Carbon Fiber Seatbase and TiLites G10 solid seat that they offer?

The ADI is carbon fiber and the TiLite G10 is aluminium.

What is the difference between ADI's Carbon Fiber Seatbase and TiLites G10 solid seat that they offer?

I believe G10 is actually epoxy fiberglass commonly used in knife handles and electronics. I seem to remember reading a CCC post about failure of a TiLite G10 seatpan, but I'm not sure. I have never read anything but good things about CF wheelchair seatpans (ADI and others). I have a 17x16 TiLite aluminum seatpan; it is heavy, but it works great. To my knowledge, TiLite is the only wheelchair maker who offers G10 seatpans.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-19-2014 at 11:59 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>