Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: New TiLite

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    do you typically have 3"+ between the backs of your knees & your cushion?

did your PT discuss front frame angle?
    I'm sitting in an old Quickie folder currently. I do have at least 3" between the cushion and the back of my leg in this chair. PT did not really discuss front frame angle. I asked her about going with the 85 degree front frame angle and that was when she said I needed the 19 or 20" seat depth. When I asked if going with 17" seat depth and adding 2" for the custom frame depth she went off about the leg splay and the pressure on the side of the legs and said the seat depth should be increased.

Unless you are incredibly long legged, that seems extreme. I don't know if this helps for comparison, but my husband in about 6'1" and has an upper leg length of 21.25" with a seat depth of 18" with a custom frame depth of +1" and a front frame angle of 85 degree. He does not have a problem with leg splaying (hemiparesis, not SCI), but there was a recent post about it in the thread TiLite TR3 / First Impressions that might help.

Keep in mind that some cushions do not have as many options at 17" width, e.g., Varilite and Stimulite, and especially with a long seat depth.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by kurtsang View Post
    I'm sitting in an old Quickie folder currently. I do have at least 3" between the cushion and the back of my leg in this chair. PT did not really discuss front frame angle. I asked her about going with the 85 degree front frame angle and that was when she said I needed the 19 or 20" seat depth. When I asked if going with 17" seat depth and adding 2" for the custom frame depth she went off about the leg splay and the pressure on the side of the legs and said the seat depth should be increased.
    My immediate response to this: find someone more qualified. Correction: find someone qualified; I don't think she knows what she's talking about and I see an order disaster looming.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    My immediate response to this: find someone more qualified. Correction: find someone qualified; I don't think she knows what she's talking about and I see an order disaster looming.
    I concur.

Quote Originally Posted by stephen212 View Post
    That's the problem finding someone qualified. Maybe I should stay in my 30 year old Quickie to avoid the disaster.

Don't get discouraged. When we started looking I was a complete newbie with ultralights, and we did not have an option of a good seating evaluation or PT/OT to help either. It took a lot of research and questions on this forum, but I was able to configure a chair that works well for my husband. If you are not in a rush, take your time and ask a lot of questions. People here are great with helping. Possibly it will help to show some pictures from the front and side for how you sit in your current chair for others more knowledgeable than me to pipe in on.

That's the problem finding someone qualified. Maybe I should stay in my 30 year old Quickie to avoid the disaster.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Does your 30 yr-old Quickie fit you well?

You can always spec a new chair to match the fit of old faithful.

I was skeptical too. I?m only 5?11? tall my legs are not that long. Not sure what to do now or who to ask.
    I bought a used TiLite ZRA, and it was set up for a 6'+ fellow with long legs that splayed. My seat is 16Wx17D, and frame is extended to 19", with 11.5" footrest. With a contoured seat that places thighs, this has been very comfortable for me and my legs do not splay at all. I thought I would have to pad frame, but there has been no problem unpadded. Also, getting up from floor to chair is much easier with extra frame to brace upon. I am only 5'6", but have long legs, 34" inseam, and my legs splayed painfully in my first chair.