Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New TiLite

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New TiLite

I'm interested in purchasing a new TiLite. Don't know much about ordering a chair. The DME guy told me I should go for the TR since I was turning it into insurance. Looking at previous posts with cad drawings and measurements for peoples chairs. Once I get measured are all the different dimensions on the chair decided for you? How much dump should you have in a chair? I noticed on the TR that you have limited adjustability vs the TRA which you have full adjustability. Thought it might be good to have more adjustability with the TRA. Seems to be many options available. Like casters, wheels and different brake options etc. Not sure what is best when you can't try out chairs and see what you are actually getting.

If this will be your first chair, you're right, you should not get a TR, which has very little adjustment. Get a chair with some adjustments like a TRA (titanium frame) or AeroT (aluminum frame). Once you spend several years fine tuning the adjustments, then consider a TR. (Note: the only differences between a TRA and AeroT are frame material, weight, and price. Otherwise they're the same chair.)

For measurements, visit a seating clinician (usually a PT or OT). Never ever let a DMEs determine your wheelchair measurements (unless he/she is an experienced chair user). Chair measurements are cushion-thickness dependent, too. A seating clinician will be much better than a DMEs at recommending an appropriate cushion for your situation. DMEs focus on the chair; seating clinicians focus on you.

Dump depends on many things, primarily your preference and level of injury - thus the need for an adjustable chair. My AeroZ was ordered with 2.5" dump (17.5 FSH, 15 RSH; now (over 3+ years later) I've settled on 3.5" (18 FSH, 14.5 RSH). Because the AeroZ is adjustable, I could both raise my FSH and lower my RSH. I can stand so I thought I wouldn't need much dump; I've discovered otherwise. The extra dump keeps me in my chair when I'm coasting down hills and riding the bus.

Edit to add:

Caster choice is preference, too. Do you roll mainly inside, or both inside and outside. If outside, on what surface(s)will you roll? pavement, grass, gravel, cobblestone? I roll primarily outside on pavement; I like 5" aluminum hubs with soft roll tires (actually I like 6", but they flutter too easily). For my needs, TiLite's Performance Casters and Froglegs Epic Casters are good choices.

Brakes - hub locks (i.e., SureLocks or D's Locks) are the cat's meow IMHO. To my knowledge, ADI makes the only true wheelchair disc brakes. TiLite's Composite Scissor locks are decent traditional locks; they fold out of the way so your thumbs don't get pinched.

Rear wheels: 24" (540mm), 25" (559mm), & 26" (590mm) are the size choices. 540 is the standard (most common). If you're tall and/or have good shoulders, consider 559 or 590. 540's are a real good place to start. IMO stock wire wheels are good enough until you know you what you really want. Other users may feel very differently. Again - personal preference.

Keep reading and asking questions.
    Last edited by chasmengr; 04-16-2014 at 12:03 AM.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

New TiLite

Is the back angle and center of gravity figured out when they measure you?

Arm rests - I have used swing away. Has anyone used the flip back tubular?

What does the Rounded Titanium Rigidizer Bar do? Don't they all have some type of rigidizer bar on the back?

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaz View Post
    Is the back angle and center of gravity figured out when they measure you?
    No, not really. A guess is made that may be close. These should be ordered as adjustable; You may never establish these permanently because different positions are better for different activities.

I haven't. (I don't use armrests at all.)

What does the Rounded Titanium Rigidizer Bar do? Don't they all have some type of rigidizer bar on the back?
    IMHO the rounded one just looks different. I believe all backrests have some form of rigidizer to provide rigidity to the back canes (uprights).
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

My husband has flip-back on one TiLite and swing-away on the other. Personally, we both like the flip-back better in tight spaces, but we have found that they need to be adjusted a lot if you use them for transfers. That is why we got the swing-asways for the new chair. Possibly I am just not doing something right when I adjust the flip-backs, but if they bear a lot of weight for transfers, I would go for swing-aways.

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by chasmengr View Post
    For measurements, visit a seating clinician (usually a PT or OT). Never ever let a DMEs determine your wheelchair measurements (unless he/she is an experienced chair user). Chair measurements are cushion-thickness dependent, too. A seating clinician will be much better than a DMEs at recommending an appropriate cushion for your situation. DMEs focus on the chair; seating clinicians focus on you.
    Amen to that! Lesson learned. Well, for next time.
    -ResonantEcho - T6/T7 Complete - October 31st, 1986

MY chair is due to be replaced, and I have the same questions! Now I have the typical arms that come on most of these industrial chairs. They flip back and can be removed.

Last week the supplier brought a Ti ZRA to try for a whole 45 minutes!
    It had the tubular arms and I thought they were weird.

Try them before you decide. My arms kept falling off because I'm used to wider ones. I did like how they swing out of the way for transfers. They don't seem as stable. I wonder how many WC push ups before they break! Sorry that's all I can tell you after my short trial with them.

I haven't used armrest since I was in rehab almost 21 years ago! They may work for someone that is either pushed by someone or you don't push on your on much because otherwise they'll get in your way.
    SCI Birthday: April 25, 1993
    T4,5,6 Incomplete
    Chair: TiLite TR3

I have used swing away arms rests for 30 years. I use them to help me transfer all the time. Especially helps when getting in and out of my truck which sits up higher(holds my weight and never bust). I also like them to pull things off store shelves that I can't reach. Also use them when I drop things that I can't get at. They help me retrieve what I drop.

More questions.

http://tilite.com/documents/TiLite_O....pdf?mod=12613

After reading some threads it appears that a lot favor the Frog Leg Unitines over what TiLite puts on the chair. Thinking about using chair mainly indoors so I may not need the Frog Leg for indoor use. Any opinions?

I have always had basic wheels on my chairs so don't know much about spinergy and the different wheels available. I have seen some wheels with like 12 spokes. Not sure if these are good or what the advantages are to them. Are they just lighter weight?

Wheel Locks - I saw SureLocks or D's Locks mentioned These must be an option outside of what TiLite offers. Are these better than scissor or push/pull brakes? Can you install the Surelocks and D locks yourself?

Backs - When it comes to backs I would like to get a carbon fiber possibly to give me more support over those tension adjustable. Not sure which is best but was looking at ADI. Is folding or not folding an option? Maybe it can't fold if you have a carbon fiber back on it. Any opinions on folding vs non folding backs?

Footrests? Does anyone find the flip back footrest as an advantage?

Seats ? is a solid seat best?

Push Handles? Was looking at the integrated fold down. Any opinions on these?