Thread: RIP a lost brother in arms

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

RIP a lost brother in arms

I just found out one of my close brothers went "home". We served in Nam. Spec Ops, Black Ops. He was my liaison, then partner, he was Airborne, who supported my Company work. He went to the company after we worked together. Saw him regularly for almost 30 years, the he said he was going in-country in the middle east and went quiet. Just got a note from a mutual associate the he passed, no details. Apparently they tried to reach me for his service but I was in or recovering from spinal surgery and did not respond.

I am heart broken.

He kept tabs on me and visited me when I was being rebuilt (a gift black ops folks rarely get) and we stayed close friends. I wish I could have been there for him as he was for me. Also wish I knew more but another occupational problem in my old job.

Raise one for him.

sadly,

ket

I am so sorry, ket. Will raise one for him, definitely - and for you.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    So sorry to learn of you lost buddy. There are no stronger connections than those formed in combat.

My friend who was with the 173d LRP in 68, died from agent orange exposure last summer. Diagnosed with combo brain and stomach cancer at same time, VA knew instantly it was AO. Given full pension and was gone in 4 months.
    We were very tight.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

That was a tough war in a tough place at a tough time in our country's history. As controversial as that war was, it is said to be the last "fair" war in terms of the burdens placed upon our society. All were asked to serve, though the college deferment was clearly unfair in its implementation.

In my opinion anyone who was there deserves recognition for the fact that they answered the call. It is a shame that today's younger generation know so very little about that conflict and what they do know is so typically ideologically charged as to render them unable to fully understand that time in our history. And so many men in their 60s and 70s still keep that part of their past to themselves, though their children are often the rare ones who carry the burden today.

Sorry for your loss, RIP.

Sorry to hear. It's really hard loosing close friends.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred