Thread: how can we ride these cars?

Question how can we ride these cars?

How can a paraplegic ride cars like SUV's such as BMW X5 or Mercedes GLK...... how can he mount them and drive them? is it possible?

Blog Entries
    Transferring into an SUV is not difficult for the paras I know, myself included. I put one hand on the corner of the seat, one hand on the door's armrest, lift, twist, and sit down (with legs hanging out). I then pull my legs in and get myself centered in the seat before breaking down the chair and stowing it (either on the passenger or back seat, depending). There's a video around here, in a transfer video thread, of me doing this into a van. Seats are typically on, or very close, the same level as the SUVs I've driven, too, including one you mention: BMW X5. I'm a T12, ASIA C. (started ASIA B, tho, and still transferred into vans/SUVs). Drive with hand controls, of course.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Pretty hard on your shoulders to do this on a regular basis though, especially if you are lifting with your upper arm over your shoulder height. Here is an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm8hleOuEPs

There are also transfer seats you can install if this is your own vehicle and you have the funds. Examples are the Bruno Stow-Away TAS seat, the Glide 'N Go, or the Easy-Reach seat.

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 04-15-2014 at 08:49 AM.