Thread: Firefly

Firefly

Gonna buy one on Monday unless someone gives me good reason not to. It's not a lot of money in the grand scheme, and I spoke at length with one of the company owners at Rio Mobility. This will be great for me when I have to roll more than 5 miles and back.

Pros and cons anyone?

I'm looking forward to any advice one way or the other. Thanks, I think it's worth a shot and it has a 30 day warranty on returns in case it's junk. But it's got good reviews lots of places.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

My son has had one for over a year now. It's been a complete life changer for our whole family. I've just looked at the speedo, and he's done over 1500km in that year (less a few km of deliberate wheel-spins!). He's kept up with his friends (and me) on bikes, he's happy to go on long "walks" which would previously have been impractical, and he uses it every day at school (he's gone from being the slowest kid on the grass oval to the fastest). They even let him go in the cross-country run using the firefly...big smile on his face for that one!

Only minor negatives are that he still needs a little help connecting and disconnecting to/from his chair, as it is quite heavy. I thought he would have worked out how to do it independently by now, but no. And a couple of the controls have snapped off the handlebar due to the controls hitting the floor if the firefly is dropped (usually during disconnection from the chair). The controls/switches still function, and I have found replacements, I just haven't replaced the broken parts yet.

It does need maintenance, but no more so than a chair/bike.

Have a search on this forum for firefly...I've posted links to a few YouTube videos showing my son using it.

One major hint. The firefly is factory set to limit the speed requirements for your country. If it is set for the lower speed, you will soon want it changed to the higher one. Just ask Riomobility for the instructions on how to do it (which they seem happy to provide, but presumably don't want to put it in the instruction manual in case someone does something stupid...).
    Gordon, father of son who became t6 paraplegic at the age of 4 in 2007 as a result of surgery to remove a spinal tumour.

I would go for SmartDrive instead, I believe it has 11 mile range and is compatible with transferring into car. I was Medicare approved for purchase but the process was long and arduous. I think approval may have had something to do with age (69) and 43 years in chair (T10) with history of pt tx for shoulder issues.

The SmartDrive is amazing and incredibly portable, it does change my manual in to a power-assisted chair in seconds but, it's not like the Firefly. The SmartDrive makes my chair easier to use and saves my body, it also totally tucks away so I can go inside the smallest places - the same places I could go without it. It doesn't have the high top speed of the Firefly or from what I can see, the throttle control. Everybody is different and has different needs. My SmartDrive has changed my life completely and I recommend people check it out but people should check out all the equipment they can trying to find what would work best for them. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by ancientgimp View Post
    I would go for SmartDrive instead, I believe it has 11 mile range and is compatible with transferring into car. I was Medicare approved for purchase but the process was long and arduous. I think approval may have had something to do with age (69) and 43 years in chair (T10) with history of pt tx for shoulder issues.

Blog Entries
    Close to getting a Firefly, myself. Decided on it over Smartdrive because I don't need a power assist day to day. I'm light weight, my shoulders and grip are still in fine shape. I do spend a lot of time off pavement, though, chasing my 4 kids around from one activity to another. Surfing, soccer, lacrosse, baseball, trail riding, rock climbing, paintball, etc, etc... That's where the increased power, range, and "Freewheel like" stability of the Firefly really set it apart from the Smartdrive. My needs have nothing to do with inside, or easy transferring into the car. The Firefly fits the bill very nicely. Price is right, too.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

We have one and are very happy with it. My husband has not been able to use it a lot because he had a broken leg, but we are hoping when the weather is nicer to go for more rides.

Check out this post, started by totoL1 who posted some good video's and information Firefly

Quote Originally Posted by rdf View Post
    Pros and cons anyone?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Thanks you guys, you've been a great help. Much appreciated!
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

If you are hauling five miles, I think the Firefly is good choice. I haven't seen how effective it is on steep hills though.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I have a dragonfly (the manual cousin) and it makes a huge difference in my range. When we travel I arrive at the jetway with the device on my chair and the airlines ship it as part of the chair. I can go six miles with the dragonfly and it is one of the few ways for me to get cardiovascular exercise. If your shoulders are in good shape you might consider the dragonfly