Thread: help paying for catheters

help paying for catheters

I've been getting 10 catheters a month through medicare, cleaning and reusing them. My doctor wants me to start using a single time catheter resulting in 150 catheters a month. Being medicare only pays 80% this is expensive. Is there a supplemental insurance that can help me pay for them?

How are you cleaning and reusing them? I have a pretty good system that seems to work very well (for me, anyway). After I use a catheter, I rinse/wash it with water and shake the excess water off. I have a tall 500ml graduated cylinder with a top that I made for it. The top has a hole that is just a little bigger than the catheter. The cylinder is filled with alcohol, and I put it back in there after I rinse/dry it. When I go to use it later, I just pull it out and give it a quick wipe with a little toilet paper. I have been using this system for years, and it has worked quite well. Might be worth a try. When I go out and about, I just use a catheter once and pitch it. However, I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to put it back in the package and bring it home to clean and reuse at home.

Are you eligible for Medicaid?

Medicare is supposed to fund (at 80%) up to 180 single use catheters per month. You should not be required to re-use them. They are FDA approved only for single use (look on the package: it says this).

Where are you buying your catheters, and what type are you using? There can be major differences in costs from supplier to supplier.

(KLD)

I'm buying from medequip co. They're charging medicare $5.91 for a tiemann coude catheter. With medicare paying 80% I'm paying the other 20%. Were talking over $200 for 180 catheters. Is a supp. insurance co. the way to go. I don't know what they charge. I understand catheters are durable medical equipment.

You may end paying less for the supplement insurance depending on where you live and what's available there.

Do you really need such an expensive catheter? Tiemann/Coude tipped will be more expensive. Have you shopped around to other catheter suppliers to see if they can beat this price?

If you can afford to pay for a supplemental insurance policy, they may cover the 20% but you may end up paying more for the coverage than you would paying the 20% out of pocket.

Again, are you not eligible for Medicaid?? Many people have Medicaid as their secondary insurance, esp. if they don't have a share of cost. If your income is so low that paying for catheters is a burden, I am wondering why you don't qualify for Medicaid?

(KLD)

I do need the tiemann catheter and I'm not eligible for medicaid. I guess I'll shop around for a better price. Supplemental insurance is something I've been thinking about even before this cath issue. So many to chose from, along with getting the right plan can be tough.

I get 180 catheters a month through Liberator Medical. I have Medicare. When i ran into financial difficulties they had me fill out an application for a waiver of fees. I was approved and now have no copay. They charge more per unit than someplace like Allegro but with the waiver it can't be beat. It's definitely worth a phone call.