Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ZX1 Adjustments

I didn't see a setting for that when I had the programmer. However crawl mode is engaged by a sensor that detects when the the clamp gets next to it. I actually don't have an issue with the crawl mode, but I will unplug the sensor and see what happens. I am travelling but will try it monday and post the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Can the newer units be reprogrammed to eliminate the crawl mode? I sent my computer of the ZX to Pat for a check over and reprogram. He sent it back, I didn't like it so he sent up the unit that does the re-programming; it took less than five minutes. He said most dme's have the unit for their power chairs. I'm going to buy one on Ebay when I get the chance as they are fairly expensive new.

I haven't seen a newer ZX so didn't realize the difference. The smaller front wheel stops it from tipping over on an incline so I just lower it a bit before going down the van ramp.

Name:  Sensor.png
Views: 141
Size:  234.4 KB

t8burst

The sensor is obviously located where the green circle is as I have seen a yellow light come on when a screwdriver is placed near it. Theoretically by putting this sensor in its various holes will adjust crawl mode, but as I say to those who don't have crawl mode, don't get too excited.

triumph

Even though I am classified as C5/C6 I would say I am much closer to C5 with very weak wrist extensors so the SMARTDRV wouldn't work for me. I don't say this out of personal experience of using one but I have a friend who is a C6/C7 quad and he says I have no chance of being able to operate effectively. He is about to take delivery of his so I will ascertain it for myself when I have a closer look. Once I get this battery issue sorted and this will be within the next few weeks the ZX1 is still the best fit for me in combination with E-Motion wheels for around the house.

Cheers

Thanks for the comments and photo. I guess my lack of crawl mode is ok, yet I must be very careful when operating the joystick in tight spots as it's real "jerky". I had been thinking the crawl mode would help with that. In other words, I would not try to operate my zx1 near the edge of the Grand Canyon.

Yeaj, it is an inductive sensor. What I don't know (and will try monday is simply unplugging it from the control unit will put you in crawl mode all the time or get rid of crawl mode. I will try it and let you know.

t8burst

The sensor is obviously located where the green circle is as I have seen a yellow light come on when a screwdriver is placed near it. Theoretically by putting this sensor in its various holes will adjust crawl mode, but as I say to those who don't have crawl mode, don't get too excited.

triumph

Cheers

Yeah I just unplugged the cable and screwed out the sensor, no more crawl mode. I could adjust it so it doesn't come on so early but would have to establish a need for it, maybe somebody can justify its existence as a necessity?

Back to the original topic of the thread and after experimenting I wouldn't recommend using those bolts to restrict the clamshell coming back further. The actuator refused to come down from being locked up. This was remedied by completely unplugging the power pack and then powering back up. Anyway good to be continually improving knowledge about this product.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Thanks for the comments and photo. I guess my lack of crawl mode is ok, yet I must be very careful when operating the joystick in tight spots as it's real "jerky". I had been thinking the crawl mode would help with that. In other words, I would not try to operate my zx1 near the edge of the Grand Canyon.

You can reprogram the controller for better turning control, making it less jerky, Triumph. Pat redid mine but it was too slow in the turns so he sent the programmer too me and I reprogrammed it back.

Thanks, Patrick. I did have a DME use a programmer to make the slower movement less jerky and it seemed to work for a while, but now back to jerky at very slow maneuvering. May get it done again.

Interesting to know. Let us know if you experience any negative situations from doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    Yeah I just unplugged the cable and screwed out the sensor, no more crawl mode. I could adjust it so it doesn't come on so early but would have to establish a need for it, maybe somebody can justify its existence as a necessity?
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Further to the discussion about "crawl mode". I notice in the manual it is mentioned as safe mode. Even though it is not stated that I can see, the commonsense purpose of enabling crawl mode when you have the wheelchair wheels raised above the ground would be balance. No doubt Spinergy's intended purpose I believe.

Now having already gone over sideways in a bus I can understand its purpose but as I still have my tyres touching slightly it is of little use. You can however imagine the rocking and rolling effect created going around corners if the wheelchair wheels are raised to their highest point.

My two bob's worth.