Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: did you know

Knocked out by car catapulting me off my bike and over the car, don't remember the accident at all. Woke up in ER, looking up at my brother and a cop, said "whoa, this can't be good". Doc came by and gave me the news, but I already could tell my legs weren't working.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"

I woke up and knew I couldn't move. My friend was going to get me out of the car, but I refused to let anyone but the paramedics touch me. At one point I remember saying "Don't you watch tv?? Don't move me!" I knew it was bad.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

I remember...

I stayed conscious through the whole thing and remember everything.

I remember as my Jeep started veering off to the right side of the road, I pulled the steering wheel to the left... The steering wheel popped and went all the way to the left but the Jeep kept going to the right... I remember hitting the brakes? but it was too late.

I remember as the Jeep hit the hill at the side of the road and started to roll... As it rolled the first time, I wasn't wearing my seat belt. I remember falling up to the ceiling. As the hard top got ripped off the Jeep, I remember the dirt flying up and hitting me in the face. I remember being thrown from the vehicle. I remember hitting the ground.

I remember as the Jeep landed upside down on top of me with the roll bar across my stomach. I remember the way it felt as the roll bar crushed my pelvis then moved up crushing my vertebrae from T11 thru L2. Crushing the bones through my crushed intestines and organs and still moving up to crush my lower rib cage.

Then I remember that damn pos Jeep coming to a rest just a couple feet away from me, on its wheels, engine still running, radio still playing Hank Williams. I remember that it didn't even look like it was damaged. I remember trying to sit up. but I couldn't! WTF? I remember grabbing a hand full of grass and weeds and trying to pull myself up into a sitting position but was only able to manage to get my head up enough to look at my legs.

I remember thinking that it felt like my legs were in a bent position but when I looked down at them they were straight. I tried to move them. Fuck! I can't move! I remember lying my head back down and hearing the other cars driving by on the highway. I remember it was cold... damn cold. It was night time and it was December. I figured I would just lay there and die. I remember hoping that I would die. Apparently, according to the doctor, I caught hypothermia which slowed down my internal bleeding and is the only reason that I didn't die.

Then, I remember while lying there waiting to die, a young woman stopped and got out of her car and asked if I was ok. "No. I think I have broken my back. I can?t move my legs."

I remember the ambulance ride to the hospital... I remember the urgency in his voice and look of panic on his face when the paramedic cut off my coat and saw the giant bulge on the side of my stomach. The roll bar had pushed my intestines through the muscle wall of my stomach.

I remember every time that damn ambulance hit a bump. It hurt. What is that driver doing? He must be hitting every damn bump in the road!

I remember going into the ER. I remember them asking "can you feel this" "No" "Can you feel this" "No" damn! I am not feeling anything! I remember one of the doctors telling me that he was going to insert a catheter in my penis and it may feel uncomfortable... I STILL DON'T FEEL A DAMN THING!

I remember them putting the mask on my face for the anesthesia. I remember one of the doctors was wearing sleeveless scrubs and when he reached over me, he dripped sweat on me! I was so pissed about that. That's about the last thing I remember... before waking up in the ICU.

Everything from that point is kind of cloudy from the morphine.
    Last edited by Lee1; 04-21-2014 at 01:03 AM. Reason: remove random question marks

well, I copied and pasted that from Word and for some reason it inserted a bunch of random question marks... oh well.

No I did not know at the time. I knew it was bad.