Thread: retrain bladder for straight cathing

retrain bladder for straight cathing

Is it possible to retrain the bladder to hold more urine after 3 years of having a foley? If so, how long? I hold 100 cc (guess thats right.. cc) but want about 200-300.

Have a spastic bladder. Just started 15mg oxybutynin/1 day. How long to kick in?

You really aren't retraining anything you are just trying to get a capacity of approximately 300 mls so that you only have to cath every 4 hours. Recommend taking anticholinergics-max dose such as Oxybutynin 10 mf three times a day and if that doesn't work then Botox injections to bladder but you need to have urodynamics to see your pressure and capacity now and yes it can be difficulty and may not work.It depends on the type of bladder you have and your capacity.

Bladder augmentatin is the other choice.
    CWO

Blog Entries
    My only experience was about 4 months with a foley, and when I went back to straight cathing, my capacity was about 100 ml (or cc) for the first couple of days. After 9 or 10 days, it was up to 300, and topped off at about about 400. I get mild AD now at 300 and cath before it gets any worse.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

ouch,

I did it slowly over a year so it is possible but not w/o risk.

SCINurse,

I was on oxybutynin for a while and how does it help w/increasing bladder capacity for those w/indwelling catheter's that drain all the time?

Even though there is constant drainage you still might need the ability to have some capacity. The thought is with constant drainage- the bladder as muscle- will shrink and can shrink very small, can become 'stiff" and won't fill if needed, then spasms occur and you leak around the catheter. Of course you could start the anticholinergic (Oxybutynin) then but may not be as helpful.
    So our urologists recommends a low dose with indwellings.
    CWO

What about retraining bladder to go from CIC to tapping on it to urinate without cathing, I keep being told by people around me, some from the medical community, that this can be done.

I currently cath every 4 to 6 hours

Tapping is not usually a very efficient way to empty the bladder unless the person has had a sphincterotomy or they tap every 15 minutes.You need urodynamics to see what type of bladder you have and what your capacity is and if you have a bladder contraction, what your residuaL is and what your resting and voiding pressures are. Most of the time with tapping little squirts come out & we no longer advise crede'. We used to have people doing a lot of tapping and crede' and the #1 caus eof death in SCI was kidney failure and this was stopped after it was found that this could be bad for the kidneys. So talk with a urologist and see what is best for you! not your friends.
    CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Tapping is not usually a very efficient way to empty the bladder unless the person has had a sphincterotomy or they tap every 15 minutes.You need urodynamics to see what type of bladder you have and what your capacity is and if you have a bladder contraction, what your residuaL is and what your resting and voiding pressures are. Most of the time with tapping little squirts come out & we no longer advise crede'. We used to have people doing a lot of tapping and crede' and the #1 caus eof death in SCI was kidney failure and this was stopped after it was found that this could be bad for the kidneys. So talk with a urologist and see what is best for you! not your friends.
    CWO
    Thank you