Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: out front glide suspension fork

Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    I ordered a set of the single-sided glide forks on a TR3, along with 5x1.4" wheels. I've been using them for a few weeks now....
    Good to hear some feedback. Any chance you can post your spec's, CAD and photo's in the The CareCure CAD Repository? I know it helped me a lot when configuring a chair.
    Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

@TiLite -- Any chance these will be available as an after-market product any time soon? I realize that there will be issues configuring them, but from my experience, that is also the same for FrogLegs. I think with the right information about measurements, I think people could deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by TiLite View Post
    Actually, the top of the fork isn’t wider thanthe caster. However, we designed the rubber bumper to be slightly largerto help save your furniture and walls. We try to think of the smalldetails; not only of the chair, but how people live. Sometimes I thinkour name should be TiLife.

Partner of an incredible stroke survivor. Limitations: hemiparesis and neglect (functional paralysis and complete lack of awareness on one side). Equipment: TiLite ZRA 2 and 2GX, Spinergy ZX-1, RioMobility Firefly. Knowledge: relative newbie for high-level equipment (2012), but willing to try to help others who are new with similar limitations (definitely not a guru, but inquisitive).

Quote Originally Posted by TiLite View Post
    Actually, the top of the fork isn?t wider thanthe caster. However, we designed the rubber bumper to be slightly largerto help save your furniture and walls. We try to think of the smalldetails; not only of the chair, but how people live. Sometimes I thinkour name should be TiLife.
    This piece is... and it's not rubber.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vjhcqjo4wo3k3ry/glidefork.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    Good to hear some feedback. Any chance you can post your spec's, CAD and photo's in the The CareCure CAD Repository? I know it helped me a lot when configuring a chair.
    If this site would let me upload attachments again, I would. I'll post a link to the CAD though.

Yes, it has been very frustrating the last 6 months. I hope it gets sorted out, because I fear that some of the most knowledgeable people like yourself will not be posting. From a relative newbie perspective, all I can ask is that you do the best you can....
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    If this site would let me upload attachments again, I would. I'll post a link to the CAD though.

I'd like to see the whole chair if you could - scott -. Never satisfied it seems, I am wishing I went with a color on mine and would like to see how your looks.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I have a set of Glide single-sided suspension forks with 4" Litespeed alum. Softroll casters on the chair I just bought from TiLite off eBay. The chair was sold as new and must be a return or something. It's a ZR. Comparing it to my TR3 with standard forks and 4" court roll casters--the ride is much smoother on the ZR. The combination of suspension and Softroll makes going straight and fast a breeze. However, the TR3 forks/casters are more responsive and handle better in tight spaces. I really like both chairs, but they're good for different uses.

Quote Originally Posted by ala View Post
    However, the TR3 forks/casters are more responsive and handle better in tight spaces. I really like both chairs, but they're good for different uses.
    I can't help wonder how much of that is the TR vs. ZR rather than fork/caster.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Quote Originally Posted by Brianm View Post
    I can't help wonder how much of that is the TR vs. ZR rather than fork/caster.
    I wondered that too. But one look at those large Glide forks and wide caster wheels will tell you they can't possibly outperform the smaller standard forks and hard narrow caster wheels on my TR3--all things equal. I have purposefully done some experiments keeping both chairs' rear wheels as stationary as possible and just maneuvering the front casters back and forth and around. It takes a much lighter effort to move the smaller caster/forks and they respond instantly (almost too fast sometimes). I do admit that my two chairs are configured differently; however, I can feel how the forks rotate around and the resistance from the wheels/tires.

I've only done this on hard surfaces like tile and wood since we have no carpeting. I have heard that the wider softrolls "float" better on carpeting. Also note, the Glide forks and wheels are bulkier and interfere with obstacles like furniture more, and they create a larger footprint when they rotate around their axis. And as -scott- has indicated in his picture, the edges around the Glides are sharp and can be murder on wood cabinets and furniture. (They do not have rubber bumpers. The only rubber is the covering over the shock absorbers.) I can't get as close to sinks and counters with them.

I will repeat that the Glides/Softrolls are a dream compared to my other configuration when cruising on rough pavement, and cracks and transitions are smoothed out nicely. Also--don't get me wrong--the Glide/Softroll combination does certainly respond and handle well enough for everyday use. I like both but use them differently.

Of course, this is all my opinion gathered from my experiences. To my credit, I do think I've tried to be a reasonably objective observer on this.

Quote Originally Posted by elarson View Post
    @TiLite -- Any chance these will be available as an after-market product any time soon? I realize that there will be issues configuring them, but from my experience, that is also the same for FrogLegs. I think with the right information about measurements, I think people could deal with it.
    Unfortunately, putting the Glide on your current chair is not doable because it would literally change the set-up of your chair. This is because the Glide is different than standard forks AND other suspension forks in several key dimensions, including the fork height and fork trail length. Because of these differences, putting the Glide on a chair not originally built for it will compromise the integrity of the set-up of the chair.
    TiLite. The Ultimate Ride.