Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Paralysed patients regain voluntary movement with spinal stimulation

Thanks for posting Chris very useful information. Also here is the link for Neurorecovery http://neurorecoverytechnologies.com/ Very impressive. I am stepping up my FES leg exercise program, standing program and weight loss program to be in the best shape I can to take advantage of all this now that it looks like there is hope. Here I have been so hopeless for the past ten years or so. It would be pretty amazing to get some, any, recovery after 33 years as a complete T4 Paraplegic.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I definitely would want to be able to get out of my chair on my own before I had bowel and bladder. I think you would suck to really have to take a crap and not be able to transfer. Hopefully if I get a spinal stimulator for pain they can put the necessary electrodes in
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    A coworker? Oh sheesh...come on! I've seen YOU in action during Q & A's before, remember? You hold your own there buddy! You get er done!!!
    Haha don't worry Grammy, I'll be asking plenty of questions. I plan on bugging Dr. Harkema and Edgerton anyway to see if they need another PhD student. Or more specifically, if they could stand having me as a PhD student...

tomsonite,

I realize with this next round they will be trying to replicate their finding to date, but will you please ask if the plan to include any quads and upper limb mobility in the near futere?

Grammy,

I guess I always assumed return of sensation and/or locomotion would occur or progress a level at a time, but from what I have read these folks seem to have gone from complete to incomplete. From your reading and knowledge would you say it's fair to state they have gone from complete to incomplete?

Also I have seen no mention of using the US SCI Network for clinical trials. I would have thought this would be perfect opportunity to put it in motion. Any thoughts here?

I have noy seen Dr. Young comment; is he OUS?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by NWC4 View Post
    Grammy,

From your reading and knowledge would you say it's fair to state they have gone from complete to incomplete?

Also I have seen no mention of using the US SCI Network for clinical trials. Any thoughts here? Thanks!
    I think the difference you're talking about is the 'voluntary' movement. Two individuals were classified and confirmed as AIS-B and two individuals were classified and confirmed as AIS-A before implantation and at the time of initial lumbosacral spinal cord epidural stimulation. The four young men were classified with a chronic motor complete. Due to the immediate results and recovery following the implantation of the epidural stimulator, researchers speculate that some sensory nerve pathways may be intact post-injury and therefore able to facilitate voluntary movements. The results in the three individuals who were tested after implantation, but before repetitive training, suggests that descending connections to the spinal cord circuitry may have existed since the time of injury. One patient did not show voluntary ability until after 7 months of epidural stimulation and stand training, from an attempt he initiated. The initial study protocol did not include attempted voluntary movements so they couldn't verify whether movement was possible before training. I don't believe I've read where they've changed their classifications. I think the study suggests there are many people classified as complete even though they're finding there's probably a lot more left of the cord than originally thought on people. I think that's why we're not seeing any claims that this is turning completes into incompletes.

http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cont...in.awu038.full

The question in a previous post about sexual function is described elsewhere in relation to the study: The term "sexual function" refers to the ability to sustain a penile erection, have an orgasm (male or female), generate viable sperm, and/or undergo an observable physiological change associated with sexual arousal.

Network choosing...If I were in a position to call the shots, I'd be selecting my network or participating hospital centers according to the historical neurosurgical expertise, the best sophisticated diagnostic equipment available, etc. Sometimes SCI trials don't use an entire network of hospitals per se, but only certain hospitals or rehab centers within a network that meet specifically the necessary criteria. Not all are created equal in surgical expertise or have cutting edge diagnostic equipment that would be required to give accurate readings and results. The stakes are so high here for many reasons, I'd personally sort through the capabilities and only opt for the best of the best until much more data is teased out rather than signing a blank contract to just any facility or network. Having the top notch staff and equipment would be imperative. I'm not sure what US SCI Network is exactly.

This video with Keith Tansey explains clinical trials and testing within networks fairly well starting at 45:00 minutes and into the Q & A session.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKxhKa6CtHY
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 04-14-2014 at 02:29 AM.

Right. Where do I sign up? And have Wise shared his opinion on this?
    "It's not the despair, I can handle the despair! It's the hope!" - John Cleese

Don't ask what clinical trials can do for you, ask what you can do for clinical trials. (Ox)
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

This might help answer some more questions. Theres some Q&A at the end where they talk a little more specific about Rob. http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy...2012/01/12/44/

I had the same question . I refer you to this conversation with sam maddox

https://www.facebook.com/kate.willet..._t=share_reply
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

the above was in response to NWC4s question about quads
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature