Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Paralysed patients regain voluntary movement with spinal stimulation

i agree with Curt .. i think this will take off pretty quickly... what is it going to cost and will insurance pay for it , is my thought at this point..

What really gets me is that this technology goes back to the early 80's shortly after the time I was first injured. Around '85 I was out of work after having a really good job and hit the highway for a one year trip to nowhere all around the country to try and "find myself" I remember at a hotel I stayed at a guy who worked there behind the counter gave me an article to try and give me hope about a possible "cure" The article was about spinal cord stimulation taken from some magazine. This thread kind of explains what happened back then and it's sad it was not explored further at the time, it would have helped a lot of people and it would be in a very advanced stage today. http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/...ralysis-again/
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Hey curt, I remember discussing this with you probably eight or so years with the company called Brain Gate or something of the like. I replied to them but I'm not sure what happened to the company…
    I do think there's something here and it is exciting.

Yes, that was Cyberkinetics, I remember meeting with them, I think it was somewhere in MA South shore. I think they abandoned the spinal cord stim idea in favor of Braingate which is a brain implant allowing quads to interface with computers. I hope there is not going to be some legal dispute with new research as I see Cyberkinetics has a lot of patents. http://www.cyberkinetics.com/ although it looks like most of these relates to braingate. Not sure why they gave up on the spinal stimulator. Now I'm a little less excited about this new research thinking about how many years I've been waiting for this thing to pan out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaz19 View Post
    Hey curt, I remember discussing this with you probably eight or so years with the company called Brain Gate or something of the like. I replied to them but I'm not sure what happened to the company…
    I do think there's something here and it is exciting.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Anyone have a clue how spasticity fits into this picture? I didn't read anything in this thread about that. Also, is sensation being addressed by this device? I know bowel/bladder/sexual function was mentioned...but is that strictly motor (i.e., no sensation improvement)?
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

So it looks like the regaining of bowel/bladder were secondary benefits to the original intent of the study which was to get movement. I'm wondering if the same type of stimulus is "killing two birds with one rock" in that regard, then. A wicked combination may have Professor Young's therapy incorporate something like this post cell implant.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

i must admit, this brings me to tears with hope. i am so happy for those 4 guys.
    T5/6, ASIA A, injured 30 Nov 08
    Future SCI Alumnus.
    I don't want to dance in the rain, I want to soar above the storm.

Is interesting how the implanted device allowed the two separated parts of the spinal cord lesion were able to connect in the correct way so the pacient can do voluntary movements.

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post
    So it looks like the regaining of bowel/bladder were secondary benefits to the original intent of the study which was to get movement. I'm wondering if the same type of stimulus is "killing two birds with one rock" in that regard, then. A wicked combination may have Professor Young's therapy incorporate something like this post cell implant.
    Is the "recovery" of B&B scientifically documented or just an anecdotal report?

Do they still need catheters?

Paolo
    Last edited by paolocipolla; 04-10-2014 at 05:30 PM.
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Would this work in patients where the spinal cord was nearly severed? Or is it only for patients where there are still a lot of "connections" at the level of injury?