Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Paralysed patients regain voluntary movement with spinal stimulation

I can only imagine how much this thing is gonna cost when made available, probably like 200 grand or so or more. Wonder if Insurance will cover it? Probably not. Being that all kinds of implants are done like this for pain I'd think FDA would move along fairly fast especially given our situations? I would think if this works as good as is said there could be a lot of fundraisers to raise the necessary money for people in need to have this done. I just hope the people in control of this technology don't try to take advantage and way overcharge for this. I am hoping to see some kindness in human spirit so we can all take advantage of this and live better and more healthy lives than we are currently living. Can you imagine even the reduction of pressure sores and UTI's in gaining back some movement? Increase in bowel and bladder control would be huge also. It would make us a lot more healthy.

Amazing that this sort of thing had been tried before with no meaningful results and that as it turns out they were simply hitting the spinal cord up with too much electricity. The nervous system is a delicate thing and as was proven in the results of these experiments just a small 10 volt signal with very low current and low frequency was all that was needed to make things happen. Call me crazy but in reading all the docs, I'm a believer in this technology. Now I kick myself for not having gone to medical school to become a researcher. I knew all along that between Electrical stim and maybe magnetism the spinal cord would respond. When I was first injured I was rolling around the hospital in my wheelchair with magnets duct taped to my back around the injury site in hopes it would help out, that was 1981. What has been proven here in these experiments makes perfect sense to me. Gonna be real interesting if this works in a injury of over 30 years like me. I can't even begin to imagine voluntarily moving a leg after so long, but from the sound of it, it could happen. I still have a huge amount of spasticity and do FES training every other day, although I think my knees are blown out pretty good at this point so may need em replaced if I'm to walk again.

Hopefully Dr. Young will chime in on this thread. I'd think this would be a natural for combination therapies.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-09-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

i'm sure it will be costly and have to have some maintenance cost .. this makes it profitable and at least something available to help cope with daily sci life.. other then a wheelchair...

I know many of us have got caught up in previous news and studies only to be let down, but this excites me. It appears that even in its current state it could have a significant positive impact on our lives and health.
    C5 injury with partial C6 function on left.

I just bought some stock in Medtronics, if nothing else looks like a pretty good company with a decent dividend. They are the ones who might have commercial rights to this device is my understanding. I think there is a real future for this type of technology not just in SCI but many other things.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I know I'm jumping the gun here, but any chance this is fast tracked? The device is already proven safe. I'd volunteer tomorrow

I have the feeling it might be fast tracked. There can be no harm I could imagine with what was done to the four subjects in the trials and it seems like this can only be beneficial to people with at least complete SCI, cant make things worse if it's a complete injury. I'd think even in incompletes who have some function it would be a long shot they would loose any function or sensation.

I was apparently wrong about Medtronic it looks to be another company that will produce the more fancy electrode units. Apparently this is a lot more complex than just a simple one electrode design. Wow, though this sure would be an interesting project to be working on, I wish I were a part of it. I am very excited.

This article cooled my jets a little bit. http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...703241408.html but all this news is still great. It was Medtronic that made the implant used for this trial, but might be another company to make the more advanced units used in future trials.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-09-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Even I am excited about this, and I don't have a SCI.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

If this next round goes as well as the first four guys, it would be flat stupid to not have a multi-center rollout. I could see if there was variability in results, but four out of four is not a fluke.

Blog Entries
    Though I continue to guard optimism, this is pretty exciting. I agree with the many of you, four out of four is real.

Yes and it's suppose to get even better in time when the 27 electrode system is released, then people stand a good chance of actually walking rather than just being able to move their legs with no real secondary muscle participation. I think things are going to advance fairly quickly in this field of research. Apparently the 27 electrode system will be ready by the end of the year and testing will start and then maybe be available on the market ready for implant in patients within around 2.5 years if all goes well with FDA approval and all.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-10-2014 at 12:15 AM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred