Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Paralysed patients regain voluntary movement with spinal stimulation

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    The kid interviewed on channel 4 News TV in NY sure mentioned sensation when he referred to feeling hot, cold and breeze on his legs.
    The kid in the interview was most likely one of the already incompletes in the study.

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Old news on a slow news day. They are into the next phase of patients trying to replicate the results. From what I know the article is not quite accurate and has a degree of journalistic enthusiasm in it.
    The real question is who did their original classification and where is the documentation?
    Good questions.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

So wouldn't this already be FDA approved? Aren't there a lot of these devices already in people for pain and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    this story is going viral. that is VERY good, and important news in it self. i doubt even a few outside our little SCI world know anything about this study.

it matters that a mass of people (outside of the community) be shown that there is progress towards SCI cure and begin to believe this is possible.
    believing is part of the solution.

i am sharing this with friends, family & on social media even though we have known about it for a while.
    In line of principle I agree with you, but imagine few years from now, where will this line of research end up? I see a formula 1 car ending up in the send.

If that happens it could be counterproductive to have used this news to promote cure research..

I would use this news very carefully.

Paolo
    In God we trust; all others bring data. - Edwards Deming

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    In line of principle I agree with you, but imagine few years from now, where will this line of research end up? I see a formula 1 car ending up in the send.

If that happens it could be counterproductive to have used this news to promote cure research..

I would use this news very carefully.

Paolo
    And it was viral the first time the CDRF ran the story (they got hammered in this forum if I remember correctly for the way the article was written as shameless fundraising) (I think they promoted the story well actually). It made TV and national media. It holds some promise but is only a beginning and Dr. Harkema will tell you that face to face.

This is getting attention today because it was published in a major medical journal that 4 out of 4 trial patients have improved benefits from the stimulation. It's simply the official publication that created the attention today, this has been public knowledge for months now.

I don't understand why some of you are pessimistic about this, when this study has yielded more results than anything so far in people.

The only way I can look at this is it is great news for us! I doubt it's fake since it's made national media. My mother and I were just talking the other day about what would come first, technological or biological. We both agreed technological would beat out biological but I wonder if this news is going to hamper biological research. I guess if it makes us able to walk, regulate our blood pressure, use our fingers and be able to feel and what does it matter if biological research slows down. I wonder what happens when the battery dies. I've had three pumps from the same company that does that because of dead batteries. Maybe they can make it like those watches you never have to rewind or change batteries. That would be awesome. I also wonder about MRIs. Whenever I go in for a pump refill that's one of the questions, if I had an MRI since the last visit. I've never had a problem with my pump. I think it automatically shuts down when it detects magnetic field like that. Boy, I sure hope there's never one of those bombs that kill electrical devices, forget what it's called. That would suck. I'm not sure I'll be able to walk again because of my multiple flap surgeries and the lack of muscle in that area but it would be awesome if I can get my hands back. My doc won't allow me to stand because my bones are too brittle but I'm getting injections to hopefully fix that. I guess we'll see how that affects a device like this for those of us who haven't stood up much since they've been hurt.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Skipow View Post
    This is getting attention today because it was published in a major medical journal that 4 out of 4 trial patients have improved benefits from the stimulation. It's simply the official publication that created the attention today, this has been public knowledge for months now.

I don't understand why some of you are pessimistic about this, when this study has yielded more results than anything so far in people.
    Yes, I agree, gotta try to stay positive, it's just that I've seen so much stuff like this over the years that sounded great and turned out to be nothing. I wish one of the guys would come here on the forums, that would be great to hear everything first hand. Maybe the technology will become more fine tuned in time such as different frequency or intensity of the electrical signal, etc. Interesting stuff.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by quadfather View Post
    Is this what researchers have been studying for two decades at Case Western?
    No, the epstim IRB that they're talking about now is work being done at University of Kentucky (Louisville) with Susan Harkema.

Her instructor was Reggie Edgerton at UCLA: https://www.ibp.ucla.edu/research/edgerton/

All of his projects are being performed with national and international collaborators. Some of the principal universities and institutions are Caltech, University of Louisville, University of California at San Diego, Irvine, Davis and San Francisco, and the University of Puerto Rico.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Maybe the technology will become more fine tuned in time such as different frequency or intensity of the electrical signal, etc.
    Reggie Edgerton's group has developed a much more sophisticated 27 electrode array as opposed to the current 16 electrode from Medtronic used for pain. They're hoping their transcutaneous unit for mild to moderate injuries is ready first for clinical trial before the subcutaneous one requiring surgery. The transcutaneous clinical trial is listed but they're not recruiting yet according to the trial information.