Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Paralysed patients regain voluntary movement with spinal stimulation

Quote Originally Posted by taymas View Post
    Hello everyone! (My first post)

A lot of news sites are buzzing (pun certainly intended) with an apparent "breakthrough" in SCI therapy, using electrical spinal cord stimulation. I know it's been done in the past, but this time with four patients. Here's a link to one of many news sites - some more detailed than others:

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A3707J20140408

As promising as this is, it is unclear from the articles if the patients regained core functionality such as bladder, bowels and sexual function. Although they can voluntary move some muscle(s), (when the device is turned on) does the device also impact on sensation?

There's also a video on the BBC site, so check it out in action. Either way, it's still very new, and years away from being effective, as well as marketed. I've closely been following Mr Wise Young here since my motorcycle accident in April 2013. We are all thankful for his contribution in SCI research, and eagerly await Phase III. Hope we're still aiming for Q3 this year, and funding could be sorted by then?

Regards,
    TM
    I watched the BBC program "Trust me I'm a Doctor", and I believe some bladder function recovery was mentioned.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Further to the earlier reply, the following may be helpful for English speaking members:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...to-stand-again

Some of our great steps in understanding ourselves and the world about us have occured through thinking outside the box:

Copernicus, Isaac Newton, Frank Whittle, Robert Watson Watt; thought of as "nuts" at first.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Imight View Post
    like wtf why not test us, and just take us out of our misery
    I do get what you're saying. I'm friends with many incompletes that I would love to see recovered ... but notice no respiratory dependents have commented? Why aren't they first in line? Let's not quibble about who's first .. let's just hope this works and gets some people up again.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

There most certainly a hierarchy of needs here. Breathing/Hands/Bowel-bladder/Sexual function/Walking.

(OK, I agree this order is highly arguable, but you can't argue about breathing being the prime consideration.)
    And the truth shall set you free.