Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Paralysed patients regain voluntary movement with spinal stimulation

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    The exact mechanism of the functional return demonstrated is still under speculation but whatever the mechanism, doesn't this suggest that if this treatment were combined with any kind of regenerative therapy it would increase the functional return gained through any limited regeneration that was achieved?
    I believe much would depend on which spinal tract has regeneration going on. When asked about which spinal tract possibly would be important to have regenerating for this type of therapy, Harkema guessed raphe and reticular would be good to shoot for.

From USA Today article:
    "In a response that shocked researchers, all four have regained bladder and bowel control, sexual function and the ability to regulate their blood pressure and body temperature – even when the epidural stimulation device is not running."

This does not mean the complete patients could feel their bladders, rectums, or penises (orgasm). That is the most important part of bladder, bowel, and sexual function. In fact, the paper never mentioned any sensation recovery.

Wow. That'll teach me for being kind of pessimistic lately - I first thought it was just a more advanced form of FES, programmed to fire muscles in sequence. But this sounds amazing, as the electrical stimulation is facilitating or "amplifying" nerve signals across the lesion. (Am I understanding this right?)

I don't get, this sort of thing has been tested for years and now it's back on the news front again? Must be a slow news day I guess.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries

Why presume it's applicable to Incompletes only?

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
    I just saw this on NBC news. I hope this turns out to be as good as it appears. And bowel, bladder function, and sexual functioning too! On the downside, I am assuming this only works with incompletes.
    Why presume Incompletes only?
    If the spinal injury gap is being bridged, then bridging is bridging.
    You can bridge a canal then you should be able to bridge a canyon.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    From USA Today article:
    "In a response that shocked researchers, all four have regained bladder and bowel control, sexual function and the ability to regulate their blood pressure and body temperature – even when the epidural stimulation device is not running."

This does not mean the complete patients could feel their bladders, rectums, or penises (orgasm). That is the most important part of bladder, bowel, and sexual function. In fact, the paper never mentioned any sensation recovery.
    The kid interviewed on channel 4 News TV in NY sure mentioned sensation when he referred to feeling hot, cold and breeze on his legs.

Old news on a slow news day. They are into the next phase of patients trying to replicate the results. From what I know the article is not quite accurate and has a degree of journalistic enthusiasm in it.
    The real question is who did their original classification and where is the documentation?

Quote Originally Posted by c473s View Post
    Old news on a slow news day. They are into the next phase of patients trying to replicate the results. From what I know the article is not quite accurate and has a degree of journalistic enthusiasm in it.
    The real question is who did their original classification and where is the documentation?
    this story is going viral. that is VERY good, and important news in it self. i doubt even a few outside our little SCI world know anything about this study.

it matters that a mass of people (outside of the community) be shown that there is progress towards SCI cure and begin to believe this is possible.
    believing is part of the solution.

i am sharing this with friends, family & on social media even though we have known about it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Why presume Incompletes only?
    If the spinal injury gap is being bridged, then bridging is bridging.
    You can bridge a canal then you should be able to bridge a canyon.
    Categorizing SCIs as complete or incomplete is not an exact science. IMO the only way one can be certain that the cord is completely transected is by direct visualization of a complete break. That seldom happens.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Is this what researchers have been studying for two decades at Case Western? I guess next month the rollipram cure will be back too