Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Paralysed patients regain voluntary movement with spinal stimulation

I think you meant the "Stim off" right?
    Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I imagine the 8 have been selected but that can be asked next month... Four of them will be the same as the first four as closely as possible (age, time since injury, etc.). The other four will be tested for response to epidural stimulation on cardio function. This comes from one of the first four patients, Andrew Maes, that had blood pressure issues related to autonomic dysreflexia (AD). When the stim was on his blood pressure normalized.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Typing too fast for it being late at night. Time for bed! No, it's my understanding when the stim was ON his BP normalized from the AD episodes. If this cardio application can be more widely demonstrated, that’s going to be a much clearer path to the clinic than voluntary movement alone so that's why they're looking closely at the cardio piece on 4 of the 8 new people.
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 04-30-2014 at 12:50 AM.

My questions
    1. I wonder if this would just increase my severe nerve pain
    2. Could it regulate low blood pressure
    3. What about sexual function in women
    4. Where do I sign up?

Mine:
    Is it possible to buy the transcutaneous device NeuroEnabling Technologies is using for the trial they're actually organizing..
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by George78 View Post
    Is it possible to buy the transcutaneous device NeuroEnabling Technologies is using for the trial they're actually organizing.. Thanks
    @George78: I rather doubt it's possible to even purchase the prototype at this point in development. The way it normally works is that the company gets permission from the FDA here in the USA to test the device on humans for safety and efficacy. Once the testing is done on multiple patients and data is submitted to the FDA for device approval, then the FDA can give the company approval to put the device on the market for purchasing.

Grammy, I guess NeuroEnabling is using a prototype for their trials but a lot of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) devices have been approved since years for pain and spasticity..
    Take a look at this: http://www.tensunitreviews.net
    I guess all we have to do is to tune the device at the right frequency, voltage or else to stimulate the spinal cord instead of having pain or spasticity relief..
    Here's what they say:
    There was a remarkable antispastic effect across thigh and leg muscles when stimulating the lumbar posterior roots with frequencies of 50 Hz? 100 Hz. In patients with motor complete (i.e. functionally complete or discomplete) spinal cord injury in supine position, continuous constant epidural stimulation of the same site of the spinal cord (with frequencies of 25 Hz?50 Hz) could generate automatic, stepping-like activity in the paralyzed lower limbs (Dimitrijevic et al., 1998; Gerasimenko et al., 2002; Jilge et al., 2004; Minassian et al., 2004; 2007a).
    Here's the link, I previously posted that..
    http://restorativeneurology.org/wp-c...ation_long.pdf
    I believe that with good informations concerning tuning the device, everyone can transcutaneously stimulate his own spinal cord..
    Results are another story, but I'm willing to give a try..
    What do you think ??.. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    I imagine the 8 have been selected but that can be asked next month... Four of them will be the same as the first four as closely as possible (age, time since injury, etc.). The other four will be tested for response to epidural stimulation on cardio function. This comes from one of the first four patients, Andrew Maes, that had blood pressure issues related to autonomic dysreflexia (AD). When the stim was on his blood pressure normalized.
    Is it safe to assume that the patients will be subject to a non disclosure agreement? Would be cool to hear their 1st hand experience with this. Id love to follow along with a blog or something as they are doing through the PT.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    Is it safe to assume that the patients will be subject to a non disclosure agreement? Would be cool to hear their 1st hand experience with this. Id love to follow along with a blog or something as they are doing through the PT.
    I don't know if they'd be on a non disclosure or not. If it was my life's work and prototype I was testing and tuning in various frequencies for each person and making multiple adjustments and working this operation the very best I could...then personally I'd have them on a non disclosure. I'd consider these people being tested as part of my team and I wouldn't want them telling everything I'm doing and working on. Some days would be good, other's maybe not so good. (I'd love to be on the inside working with the team, but I'd fully understand why I couldn't be in the press box and talking everyday too about how it's going)...

Quote Originally Posted by George78 View Post
    Grammy, I guess NeuroEnabling is using a prototype for their trials but a lot of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) devices have been approved since years for pain and spasticity..
    Take a look at this: http://www.tensunitreviews.net
    I guess all we have to do is to tune the device at the right frequency, voltage or else to stimulate the spinal cord instead of having pain or spasticity relief..
    Here's what they say:

Here's the link, I previously posted that..
    http://restorativeneurology.org/wp-c...ation_long.pdf
    I believe that with good informations concerning tuning the device, everyone can transcutaneously stimulate his own spinal cord..
    Results are another story, but I'm willing to give a try..
    What do you think ??.. :-)
    @George78: The prototype is finished. I'm hearing they're in manufacturing of the devices that will be used specifically on the folks enrolling into the trial. I like your enthusiasm, but I believe it's all a bit more complicated than what you're thinking. The unit that is supposed to be tested is a 27 electrode device so it's going to be a bit more complicated and methodical in testing the various perimeters and especially with each patient having different capabilities with various muscle groups and also they're incompletes. (The one in your video link was a only a 4 electrode and the one used subcutaneous was a 16)... Some people will have poor or lesser response in different regions and muscle groups than the next person. In other words, until all the trials are ran and different subjects are zeroed in on their maximum best that the device can do for them, then it's pretty hard to know how it all shakes out. A device that's been calibrated for my spared muscle groups are going to be different than yours. I may need very little stimulation and help on only a few key groups and you may have a lot more deficits than me and need multiple groups activating at different timing and frequency than I would need. It's my understanding that each person in the future would be personally calibrated for their own device according to what their tested need is at the time. I believe this work is in it's infancy yet and there's a lot more that will be discovered along the way with these devices. As far as one experimenting around for fun in the meantime, I'd be a little concerned about that. It may be expensive with no results from it or you may accidently light your hair on fire! (uh oh...just joking)

Here's a blog post about the upper extremity work...

http://spinalcordresearchandadvocacy.wordpress.com/2014/05/02/promising-research-to-restore-hand-function-at-ucla/
    Last edited by GRAMMY; 05-02-2014 at 02:36 AM.

Heres an external neurostimulator made by Medtronic for pain management. It's given to patients with pain that are considering using an internal neurostimulator before they take the surgical commitment. I would be interested if one could use/ try it for 'off label' use for an SCI. I'm sure it's not as effective as the implant or the prototype being tested for us, but my guess is it would be better than nothing if calibrated correctly.

http://professional.medtronic.com/pt...m#.U2OazSe9KSO

Also, blood pressure increase and stabilization are two things that are of high interest to the current research being done, so my speculation would be an improvement in BP from this tech. It just has to be proven formally.