Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Paralysed patients regain voluntary movement with spinal stimulation

Quote Originally Posted by rioderbi View Post
    I dont see how 2 years of completeness turns into sit-ups and legs literally firing up into the air. That's not how it goes. "Hand selected" doesn't make sense I guess and is a pretty negative way to look at something that has no reason to look at it from that negative an angle - but Im new and have seen a lot of that here.
    You will see opinions here that are pro and con. I think man of us have biases based on what we have seen or read over the years. Don't take take it as anything more than doubt. Many here see hope where I see something doubtful. In a few rare cases I tend to be skeptical because I may have met the researcher and simply felt they were in it for the stock price ride. I also admit a bias toward embryonic cells despite having no evidence they might work better than cord blood.
    Stick around/ read and form your own positions. We need voices trying to encourage funding. The NIH budget has been cut significantly and private funding alone can't do it. It will take big pharma and government money. I remain optimistic that somebody like Wise may make a step or two that inspires a larger investment in what they do.

I just hope some device is on the market and that it does something. Solid researchers behind it. What can we do but support this and other upcoming possibilities? I wish there was a conspiracy theory that said that the cure is found, but being withheld by an evil lord.

Curt I read about the moon landing...sure it could have been Kubrick. I'd bet we been there a few times though...

I think what needs to be done is do the same thing they did on those 4 guys on a long term complete injury who has not moved or felt anything below the level of his/her injury for at least 30 years (maybe me ) Somebody who is well known in the SCI community and see if he/she can move anything after the procedure. That would weed out any doubt as to whether or not this really does anything. If I were even to move my pinky toe a little bit, I'd be a believer.

Anyhow if this Spinal E Stim does really work on verified long term Completes, it is monumental. According to the literature, it does http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/cont...in.awu038.full I'm just really playing devils advocate here today as like I said no physicians that I've seen have chimed in on this thread. Could a researcher or scientist, doctor or whatever please speak up here and tell their feeling about this whole thing? I'm no scientist or doctor myself, but have seen so many things that were suppose to work and then faded into the blue in my nearly 33 years of SCI.

I did find an article here http://www.usnews.com/news/science/n...-men-move-legs where a bunch of researchers and physicians chime in and do say it really is no cure. I just wonder if it does work and as it advances that it may become something that is more useful? Time will tell I guess.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 04-18-2014 at 10:33 PM.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Skepticism is understandable, especially coming from your perspective, but baseless skepticism is damaging. Other people aren't necessary to determine if a therapy is good or not. You just did it now after you looked into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Anyhow if this Spinal E Stim does really work on verified long term Completes, it is monumental.
    Agreed. It's changing the perspective in people's minds of what could be possible after sustaining a spinal cord injury.
    Last edited by crabbyshark; 04-23-2014 at 01:48 AM.

If these guys have started to show positive results with the e-stim turned off even, it makes me wonder if you could achieve similar effects with electro-acupuncture to the right areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrington314mx View Post
    If these guys have started to show positive results with the e-stim turned off even, it makes me wonder if you could achieve similar effects with electro-acupuncture to the right areas.
    So I've been trying to have an orgasm with the e-stim pads at the base of my penis and up near the head. Well I don't have a tens unit, I have a Russian E-stim unit. (Much stronger) Well it really got my legs moving a lot. Both my ankles were contracting,(I have nothing below the knees) and it was shooting signal all up and down my legs. I no I'm an incomplete, but it really seemed to help with muscle return the next day. Could be a coincident, but I will keep trying and see if it helps. Makes a guy wonder if jolting the nerve's below the injury site can help.

Years ago I started a tread about the burning butt, and someone wrote about how he had 3 inches of his spinal cord removed, and how he still had the burning butt. If this guy got off his butt, it helped with the pain. Which really seems strange since he had part of his cord removed. So then this doctor guy wrote a long and involved explanation about how some signal can travel through the body without going down the cord, but kind of through the veins. I was having a hard time following it myself, but I wonder if that's possible. So you stimulate the nerves below the injury site and them some signal gets there by going around the cord. Since I have some signal getting through being an incomplete, I'm going to stim the shit out of my legs, and see if it helps, who knows I might even have an orgasm in the process. Would like to try the electro-acupuncture as well.
    T12L1 Incomplete Still here This is the place to be 58 years old

Interesting, there are still so many mysteries of the body to unlock that we don't know. I've been doing FES bike stim for 15 years now and noted no changes in neurologic function, my legs are still dead as a doornail as far as me trying to move them. But I can and do really build up the muscles in my legs when I work hard with FES which is a good thing for keeping my legs in shape.

Quote Originally Posted by flying View Post
    So I've been trying to have an orgasm with the e-stim pads at the base of my penis and up near the head. Well I don't have a tens unit, I have a Russian E-stim unit. (Much stronger) Well it really got my legs moving a lot. Both my ankles were contracting,(I have nothing below the knees) and it was shooting signal all up and down my legs. I no I'm an incomplete, but it really seemed to help with muscle return the next day. Could be a coincident, but I will keep trying and see if it helps. Makes a guy wonder if jolting the nerve's below the injury site can help.

Years ago I started a tread about the burning butt, and someone wrote about how he had 3 inches of his spinal cord removed, and how he still had the burning butt. If this guy got off his butt, it helped with the pain. Which really seems strange since he had part of his cord removed. So then this doctor guy wrote a long and involved explanation about how some signal can travel through the body without going down the cord, but kind of through the veins. I was having a hard time following it myself, but I wonder if that's possible. So you stimulate the nerves below the injury site and them some signal gets there by going around the cord. Since I have some signal getting through being an incomplete, I'm going to stim the shit out of my legs, and see if it helps, who knows I might even have an orgasm in the process. Would like to try the electro-acupuncture as well.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

This study is not very exciting to me, as an Asia A. No sensory return. Anecdotal b/b/s return. Without sensation, those are almost useless to me anyways. Minor voluntary movement recovery in legs, which serve no real use except maybe muscle rebuilding/improve circulation. Nothing that would increase my quality of life in any significant amount. As a complete injury, my spinal cord is almost completely severed. Recovery of sensation/movement in a significant amount will need regeneration of axons.

However, if I were an Incomplete SCI, my opinion would be the opposite. Therefore, it is a valuable area of research.

I'm hopeful they can more finely tune the stim, they are coming out with a 27 Electrode System which should make it work better. I have the feeling though it's not going to work for everyone which will be depressing for those who it does not help. I just wish I could get more data about this, I think this is what I'm craving hence the slightly negative posts, sorry guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post
    This study is not very exciting to me, as an Asia A. No sensory return. Anecdotal b/b/s return. Without sensation, those are almost useless to me anyways. Minor voluntary movement recovery in legs, which serve no real use except maybe muscle rebuilding/improve circulation. Nothing that would increase my quality of life in any significant amount. As a complete injury, my spinal cord is almost completely severed. Recovery of sensation/movement in a significant amount will need regeneration of axons.

However, if I were an Incomplete SCI, my opinion would be the opposite. Therefore, it is a valuable area of research.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Nowhere Man View Post

Answer me this; If they called you tomorrow to come be a participant in the study, would you let them implant you with this device and give it a go?