Thread: Standing frame and dizziness

Blog Entries

Standing frame and dizziness

Some days I find that I can barely deal with the dizziness I get after a few minutes of being on the standing frame.
    I try to use it for a period of 60 minutes daily. I keep as hydrated as possible, salt level up, I don't eat a meal while on it, or immediately preceding, I even cut out speaking on phone while on it, yet there are times i just about pass out. I'm assuming it's my bp crashing. As a c4.5 I run real low as it is. Hot days it's worse, however having fruit, and/ or carbs seem to help immediately to perk me back up. Is this just the way it is, or what?
    Btw, it's not a condition that's worsened significantly over time.

i am also C45 and I go through the same exact thing alot,I wouldn't worry about it because if I lower myself it dissipates immediatly ,and when I go to rehab and stand ,they always ask me if I am getting dizzy or light-headed .so I gather that it's a very normal thing for people in our situation and is known
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Orthostatic or Postural Hypotension is quite common in quads. Do you have the same problem when changing from a lying down in bed position to a sitting position in your chair? For some people orthostatic hypertension can be so problematic, they must take medications like Midodrine or Fludrocortisone (Florinef).

You could try drinking several large glasses of water before standing, wearing an abdominal binder, wearing graduated pressure support stockings.

All the best,
    GJ

Hi Tim,

You get light headed because the blood is pooling in your legs and the muscles in your legs are not contracting to redirect the blood back up to your heart. Some possible options to help if you get light headed while standing is to have a caretaker or family members "pump" your legs whiles standing- basically have them massage your quads and calves. Other options are to ace wrap your legs or wear compression stockings to try and prevent blood from pooling or to wear an abdominal binder. Also practicing breathing exercises on a daily basis will help with some BP regulation. For example, lay on your back with your feet and knees at a 90 degree angle and place a weight on your stomach- work on taking big breathes inhaling deeply focusing on your diaphragm. Also in this position work on pelvic tilts- trying to push your lower back against the floor and then raise it up with each breath. Hope this helps!

Have you had someone check your blood pressure when you are feeling dizzy??

We often find that we need to have our clients with higher level injuries use an abdominal binder AND TED hose AND Ace wraps toes to groin in order to be able to stand for any period of time at all. Some can gradually decrease these measure over time if they are consistent with standing on a regular basis, but others (esp. older clients) find they have to continue these for any time they are standing.

(KLD)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Have you had someone check your blood pressure when you are feeling dizzy??

We often find that we need to have our clients with higher level injuries use an abdominal binder AND TED hose AND Ace wraps toes to groin in order to be able to stand for any period of time at all. Some can gradually decrease these measure over time if they are consistent with standing on a regular basis, but others (esp. older clients) find they have to continue these for any time they are standing.

(KLD)
    Thanks all, and KLD,
    Wrap the toes to groin, eh? So if I follow this up with time in my gravity boots I must essentially mummify myself?
    My bp? It must nose dive while on standing frame .
    SCI-FIT , how can I weight train my diaphragm muscles if it's only half inneverted; overcompensating with the existing muscles?

You can strengthen your diaphragm muscles in a couple of ways. First, is to use a resistive exercise device like the PFlex, gradually working your way up to 10 minutes 2X daily at each progressive smaller hole. Secondly, laying down on your back on a mat or bed, lay sandbag type weights on your upper abdomen and just breathe normally. Increase the time you are doing this, and the weight of the sandbags gradually.

As I said, you may not need to use all this swaddling long term, but you can start that way and eliminate one item at a time as you increase your standing time (over weeks).

(KLD)

Just like SCI-nurse said the easiest way is to lay on your back with your knees elevated- ideally you want your knees and hips to be at a 90 degree angle to your body. Then place a weight onto your abdomen- start light and then work your way up in weight. If you don't have a sandbag you can just use a weight or hand weight or be creative with whatever you can find around the house. Work on breathing normal and also trying to inhale deeply and exhale. Other options you can do in this position are to do overhead raises so while lying on your back inhale deeply and simultaneously raise your hands overhead and as you bring them down exhale.