Thread: Travel pay being minimized?

Travel pay being minimized?

I've been doing the majority of doctoring at the VA 90 miles away for the past 44 years rather than putting up with the hassle of driving through the big city which is 150 miles. The top guy in that department retired 3-31-14 and my last appt. was 4-1-14. The woman that took over now said it doesn't matter which VA your appointment is, you get travel to the VA nearest to you. In my case there is a clinic 40 miles away so I get travel in that amount. Has anyone else been told this? If this doesn't sound right, who do I contact? The appt. last week was my annual physical and I wouldn't be real happy changing doctors. Thanks!

You should be getting care at the VA that has the appropriately trained SCI clinic staff (support clinic). That is rarely available at a CBOC, generally it is in a hospital-based clinic. When going to your SCI (hub) center, there are geographically designated hub centers for every VAMC, and they need to send you to that hub, even if it is past another VA without a SCI center. Annual evaluations are supposed to be done at hubs.

I would suggest you talk to your PVA National Service Officer (NSO) as this is one of their jobs; to get this all straightened out for you according to VA Handbook 1176.1.

(KLD)

The witch that was giving everybody a bad time about travel last spring was only in that position a short time longer. It really erks me that power people like that feel that all veterans benefits are coming out of their own pockets. I don't think they would feel that way if they were veterans themselves, they have no clue.