Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Birthing questions for Quad Moms

I not read something like this on here, but hey! Congrats! you sound excited and are putting plan together.

Carrie , may I ask at what stage you needed foley? (if you ever needed)

Hi,
    C6 quad. Had a baby 7+ years ago. Vaginal delivery. She actually delivered herself. Uterine contractions work on their own. After delivery, Tylenol or Ibuprofen (can't recall which) kept AD at bay. Plus, I didn't tear, so no lasting trauma. PM me if you have any questions. Also, do a search - Emi & I have written a bit here in the past.
    Good luck!
    "We must become the change we want to see in the world." Gandhi

Never needed a foley. I do have a mitronoff, luckily. Had to pee at least 15x a day (8 at night - pretty much hourly). This was a concern in case a c-section was necessary. Didn't want them cutting through my bladder. I had a urologist standing by just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by alissa View Post
    Never needed a foley. I do have a mitronoff, luckily. Had to pee at least 15x a day (8 at night - pretty much hourly). This was a concern in case a c-section was necessary. Didn't want them cutting through my bladder. I had a urologist standing by just in case.
    What is the difference between Mitronoff and having a foley? Why did yu choose Mitranoff surgery over foley? I do catheter (used to be every 4 hours) every 2-2:30 hours..Im pretty sure I would need foley IF I get pregnant

Some women do choose to use an indwelling urethral catheter during pregnancy, although it does increase your risks for UTIs (which is also a higher risk just due to pregnancy). Some women continue to do urethra self intermittent cath, but this can be difficult the last trimester (reaching is hard enough without that big belly!). You may need help.

Some women have had a Mitrofanoff to allow them to do intermittent cath themselves through a stoma on their abdomen, which is much easier for a woman. This can be continued during pregnancy for many, but it is advisable that your urologist be present for your delivery, as if an emergency C-section is needed, it will be important to not damage the Mitrofanoff tract. Some urologists are reluctant to do a Mitrofanoff until after a woman has completed her childbearing, but that is a preference of theirs, and is not common to all urologists.

(KLD)

She has arrived! Reagan Renee was born last Wednesday at 34 weeks 4 days. She is still in the NICU because she needs to regulate her temperature, but she will probably be coming home in the next 5ish days!

The labor and birth was not as hard as I had expected. In fact, the last 4 weeks of the pregnancy was harder on me than the birth. I went into labor around 7pm on Tuesday night, and she was born at 5:05 the next morning.

I had an epidural right away, and they kept it at a 6, which worked really well until the last few minutes before she was born when they upped it to I believe 8 (whatever that means). I had a vaginal delivery, and I am so thankful that I was able to avoid a c-section. The idea of being cut open is just scary in general.

This is a quick, short update, but if anyone has questions, fire away!
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Congrats and best wished to both you and little Reagan Renee. So glad you had a good pregnancy and delivery experience. Please keep us updated on your experiences as a new mom!

(KLD)

I had the mitro 11 years before the pregnancy. The difference, as the nurse said, is that I could continue intermittent cathing. Foleys never worked for me. I had constant utis & always leaked around them.

CC so happy for you, congrats to y'all, a new baby to hold, love and snuggle with, enjoy every moment with your wee little Reagan, they grow very fast!