Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birthing questions for Quad Moms

Birthing questions for Quad Moms

So I am five 1/2 months along with our first baby. So far we are healthy, and the baby moves a LOT We go back to the doctor on Monday to see if it is a boy or girl (last time the little bugger wouldn't let us see).

Anyway, my question is for the quad mommies out there. Did all of you have a c-section? I have been in contact with one member from here who did and had a complication afterward because of the pain. That scares me. My doctor(s) have discussed it with me, and even though we haven't made a decision, they both seem to think that if my body and the baby can handle it, I would be able to have a natural birth. They said that my muscle use, though limited, would help and that after a little while, the body just takes over contractions and does what it is supposed to do by pushing the baby out. Now, that would be if the baby isn't stressed. A c-section might be necessary if something should happen of course.

A c-section would be faster and less stress on the baby so that option is always open to me too. I just want us both to come out of this as healthy and pain-free as we can.

Opinions? Experiences?

Thanks in advance.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

No reason to have a C-section just because you have a SCI. A vaginal delivery is possible, and with the correct care, very safe. You can always have the C-section if you run into trouble. A bigger issue is having a plan for managing autonomic dysreflexia during labor (an epidural will usually do the job). Most OBs and L&D nurses don't know the first thing about AD.

(KLD)

Thanks, KLD.

Thankfully, my MFM has had quite a few experiences with spinal injured patients so I have great confidence in her and my OBGYN. She actually mentioned AD before I did at my first appointment, and I wanted to hug her. haha. She already assured me that an epidural is in my future no matter what.

I guess my biggest fear is the pain after the birth, no matter which option we go with, and the AD that will be associated with that. AD is all around a scary thing.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Congratulations!

I had to have a c section due to both my boys being breech and staying there. I did not have any complications from it. most important thing is to get yourself moving as soon as the docs say you can. good luck for a smooth delivery for both of you!

Thanks, sabmother!

BTW we found out it is a GIRL today!
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Congrats! Picked a name yet??

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Congrats! Picked a name yet??

(KLD)
    We have. We are going to name her Reagan Renee. I bought her first tiny outfit today. It's amazing to me that something so sweet is going to be mine! I know my husband will probably make her a total tomboy, but that's okay too. As long as she is healthy and happy.
    If there is light
    it will find
    you

--Charles Bukowski

Congrats on such wonderful news. You will have so much fun with her and the clothes alone are cute as all get out.

How exciting for you and your husband! Best wishes!