Thread: I'm ready to try something besides air inflation for my seating needs.

I'm ready to try something besides air inflation for my seating needs.

I first started off with using Jay cushions with great results. Of course that was until the gel pack sprung a leak which of course would turn in to a huge mess. So I then began using the ROHO line of air inflation cells which also works well. That is until an air leak would arise from either the inflation valve or one of the rubber cells themselves. I can typically get about one year from a ROHO cushion before I spring a leak. This is very annoying simply because I'm very easy on my equipment and it's not like I work in a machine shop that might allow sharp objects to pierce my cushions.

So now I'm looking for an alternative seating method that would take the place of what I've been using. I only weigh 98lbs so I need something that's going to give me great protection from possible skin breakdowns.

Any suggestions?

I'M A Supracor guy. never a mark in over 15 yrs on them. whatever you try, just be careful and watch your skin. I use classic XS.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I have also spent time on ROHO and Jay gel cushions. For the last couple years I have been using a Varilte Meridian cushion and I have been pleased with it. Maybe you can find a local dealer that has a sample you can borrow.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Consider Comfort Company's VicAir, too.
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Blog Entries
    I'm with John on the Supracor. I use the contoured model to help keep my knees together.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

ozziegn,

Regarding "... alternative seating method ..." - as others have suggested; the honeycomb structure of a Stimulite and the closed-cell air structure of a Vicair both entail structures different than your referenced Jay and Roho cushions.

Neither the Stimulite nor the Vicair cushion models exhibit the catastrophic failure mode extant in the specific Roho cushion referenced in your post. In scenarios involving a sharp object piercing a Stimuite or Vicair cushion, the primary function of the cushion is not significantly compromised. You can see the structure of these cushions in the pictures and videos on the Wheelchair Cushion Sage website.

Incidentally, if you enjoy the outdoors, your warm central Florida climate may deem breathability to be a cushion factor worth considering. In such a case, the Stimulite cushions provide the greatest degree of breathability.
    Last edited by WC_Sage; 04-04-2014 at 12:30 PM.

I'm about 115 lb. with little body fat and switched from a Roho to a Stimulate six or seven years ago when I got my TiLite. I started to get some issues with sores and am now dealing with a stage 4. I'm back to using the Roho and will probably never using anything other than an air cell system. So if you decide to switch, keep a close eye on your backside.

Wow, that sucks Lazierdog, sorry to here this. I continue to use Jay J2's and no problems yet and only once in over 20 years of use have I had one leak, guess I've been lucky. But they do seem fairly tough. They are heavy, but I figure having the good protection and stability they seem to offer is worth it. I kinda felt like with the Supracores I slouched for some reason although I do use one on my Top End Force handcycle.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred