Thread: Accessible stairs - sesame access

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete

Accessible stairs - sesame access

Yes, I saw this on the internet too. Anyone know if they are actually being installed in the USA, and if so, where?

(KLD)

I assumed this was a European venture considering the age and type of buildings you see there versus our older and rarer buildings that were smaller and often started as wooden buildings and then upgraded in the last 100 years. Those are much harder to work on then the original large bureaus and palaces that became office buildings and condos in Europe. I would love to see this used wherever possible here. Because the steps retract it looks like the vandals would have a tough time destroying these also.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    From the Website.. it's a UK company and all the sites so far are located in the UK.

Since the introduction of the DDA and subsequently the Equality Act, many buildings have struggled to provide a means of access to their property that is barrier-free and ensures access for all.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disabil...ation_Act_1995

Territorial extent England and Wales; Scotland

The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 (c 50) (informally, and hereafter, the DDA) is an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom which has now been repealed and replaced by the Equality Act 2010 ([1]), except in Northern Ireland where the Act still applies. Formerly, it made it unlawful to discriminate against people in respect of their disabilities in relation to employment, the provision of goods and services, education and transport.

Accessible stairs sounds like a bad joke doesn't it?
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust