Thread: Your new van and the curb.

Your new van and the curb.

So happy to have purchased a 2014 Toyota Sienna w/ a VMI conversion. Curb parked for the first time yesterday. I mean it was perfect, 4 inches off the curb parallel all that. Turned off the kneel feature and activated the door ramp. So proud. A second later there is this grinding scrapping noise coming from the door as it logged itself on the curb and shut down partially open. Setting in my B&G seat fairly helpless I quelled my nervous horror. Thinking as a midwife to the engineering profession I should have been smarter than that. No cell service thwarting any call for assistance. After several attempts of push the power door function it scrapped and grinded until it closed. Now the vehicle was upset and would not shift out of park so I could relocate. I asked someone on the sidewalk to retrieve my acupuncturist from his office. We turned off the van and let is sit for a while, heard a beep, I guess resetting itself with his assistance and protection of the door we got the vehicle to reset. Moral of the story DO NOT PARK CLOSE TO THE CURB.

I've got a Honda Odyssey with Braun conversion. If I turn off the kneeling feature and I am close to the curb is not a problem with the van door dropping down onto the curb. What could be a problem is that the door, as it opens, does move outward probably two, three, possibly 4 inches. So yes giving yourself some room at the curb will prevent door damage.

Yes, you can probably say with certainty, it has happened to all of us. Good Safety Tip!

Paladin, you are just too good at parallel parking!

All the best,
    GJ

The scraping sound of your door on the curb is a terrible sound! I've only had it a couple times, generally when in a rush. Luckily, no noticeable damage to my van from the times it did happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    So happy to have purchased a 2014 Toyota Sienna w/ a VMI conversion. Curb parked for the first time yesterday. I mean it was perfect, 4 inches off the curb parallel all that. Turned off the kneel feature and activated the door ramp. So proud. A second later there is this grinding scrapping noise coming from the door as it logged itself on the curb and shut down partially open. Setting in my B&G seat fairly helpless I quelled my nervous horror. Thinking as a midwife to the engineering profession I should have been smarter than that. No cell service thwarting any call for assistance. After several attempts of push the power door function it scrapped and grinded until it closed. Now the vehicle was upset and would not shift out of park so I could relocate. I asked someone on the sidewalk to retrieve my acupuncturist from his office. We turned off the van and let is sit for a while, heard a beep, I guess resetting itself with his assistance and protection of the door we got the vehicle to reset. Moral of the story DO NOT PARK CLOSE TO THE CURB.

Theres a small slot next to the shifter where you can put the key thats hidden in the key fob to unlock the shifter.

I try to show everyone how much the door steps out as it opens and how easy it is to park to close to the curb and wedge the door just like you did.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Quote Originally Posted by crags View Post
    I've got a Honda Odyssey with Braun conversion. If I turn off the kneeling feature and I am close to the curb is not a problem with the van door dropping down onto the curb. What could be a problem is that the door, as it opens, does move outward probably two, three, possibly 4 inches. So yes giving yourself some room at the curb will prevent door damage.
    Its the door moving outward that usually gets everyone.

Open your door and stand something up next to it then close it to see how far it steps out.

If your always seated in the same position and you don't move your mirrors you can write on your mirror with a marker to get an idea as to how much room you need.
    Jim, MA, MMET
    Bridgewater, MA

Thanks for sharing everyone. Had a co worker inspect the bottom of the door. No damage to report. I can release the anxiety.