Thread: Peristeen system

Peristeen system

Has anybody in the USA been able to get the Peristeen system? If so, where? Is something like this safe for long term use?

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Some people have been ordering the system from Australia. Last I heard, Canada was considering using it and the US wanted the company to make the inflatable bubble in the catheter stronger to last longer. The catheters cost around 7 or 8 bucks.

Would like to know the latest info myself.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    There are enema kits that will work just as well and last a lot longer. Take a look at the flowmaster kits - https://www.optimalhealthnetwork.com...its-s/1026.htm
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

The kits with an inflatable nozzle would be similar to the Peristeen system. The replacement nozzel's are $15 and the Peristeen's catheters are $20.
    I had trouble with the balloon in the catheter breaking and gave up trying to use it.

The Peristeen water bags seem pretty weak though and would probably need replaced often. No doubt the Flowmaster's silicone bags would last a long time and could probably be used with the Peristeen. The F system is much cheaper than the P.

I am hoping that the VA will pay for the Peristeen equipment.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 04-27-2014 at 05:26 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Is this intended for regular bowel routine use?

Can you only use this while sitting over the toilet? Could it be used in bed?

Yes, it is intended for routine use for bowel care for those for which it is appropriate.

Ironsides, I have seen nothing about how this could be used in bed. You would have a problem with the evacuation as once you release the balloon all the water you instilled (close to a liter) and the stool all come out pretty quickly, and I don't recommend the use of a bedpan for people with SCI for skin reasons.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Can you only use this while sitting over the toilet? Could it be used in bed?
    They really are made to be used on the toilet. After deflating the balloon, you only have a few minutes before the water/poo slurry tsunami begins.

Has any Doctor in US given permission for people to use it? Still waiting for the VA.
    C 5/6 Comp.

Teddy Roosevelt

We are going to Cincinnati Children's so my son can learn how to use the Peristeen. Edgepark Medical in Ohio is the supplier. We haven't actually used it yet or physically seen it, so we don't know quite what to expect. We are hoping he can use it with a shower/commode chair. Once we learn how to use, I will post.