Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Had a varalite evolution for 10 years, but now I need something softer any ideas?

Question Had a varalite evolution for 10 years, but now I need something softer any ideas?

Hi everyone,

I've been using a varalite evolution for 10+ years but my ass seems to require something softer and perhaps bigger. I have a 14x14 right now but perhaps its time to go bigger because its really doing a number on my butt.

Any recommendations on something more soft but also allows you to sit higher on your wheelchair? Some super soft cushions sink you down so much which is why I went for the varalite as it stays firm.

Thanks,
    Cory
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

If you need to sit higher I'd go with a roho and try to find something flat to stick underneath it... if that's possible. I was having problems with breakdown just a couple years in, I went roho and haven't looked back... never any worries and I'm shamefully bad at remembering to do reliefs.

Have you used the same cushion for 10 years or used several of the same model? If the same one, I would order a new one.
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

Yeah, my vote is to go for a Roho high profile, even though it's a bit softer. I'm on one now b/c I'm healing from a back surgery and can't shift around as easily as before. It's proven much better for my skin than my Varilite Evolution or my Stimulites.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaphod View Post
    If you need to sit higher I'd go with a roho and try to find something flat to stick underneath it... if that's possible. I was having problems with breakdown just a couple years in, I went roho and haven't looked back... never any worries and I'm shamefully bad at remembering to do reliefs.
    I use a Varilite Meridian CPB under a mid-profile Roho Quattro. It's 1/2" thick. I trimmed the contour sections of the CPB to suit my specific anatomy's needs, while under guidance from the seating folks at a local SCI rehab center. This works much better for me than using a high-profile Roho. Increased stability, custom shaping (for both positioning and pressure relieving), and the shear protecting qualities of a Roho.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Welcome back there Cory. I use the Varilite NX cushion. Has a dual air chambered in the rear with different wedges and stuff a person can use for adjustment in body shapes. I like it most because it is a solid base foam with a rear chambered air cushion and the front is hard foam making it easier to transfer from. It as firm in the rear as I want it to be and very firm in the front.http://www.varilite.com/products_detail.aspx?prodID=4

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I use a Varilite Meridian CPB under a mid-profile Roho Quattro. It's 1/2" thick. I trimmed the contour sections of the CPB to suit my specific anatomy's needs, while under guidance from the seating folks at a local SCI rehab center. This works much better for me than using a high-profile Roho. Increased stability, custom shaping (for both positioning and pressure relieving), and the shear protecting qualities of a Roho.
    Interesting, and logical. Why not just use the Roho Hybrid Elite? The customization of the CPB?

I use a Jay J2 and it sits up higher and is comfortable, it's a bit heavy, but never had a pressure wound in 33 years so I keep using Jay.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by -scott- View Post
    Interesting, and logical. Why not just use the Roho Hybrid Elite? The customization of the CPB?
    I trialed one for a bit along with a Jay3/Roho insert. Couldn't get either to pressure map well enough. I need a lot of trochanter support, which the Jay provided, but not the Hybrid E. The Jay was too firm on the trochs, though. Couldn't cath on either of them, also. Bottomed out sitting on the front of the HE and the Jay was just plain hard. Both caused so much taint pressure they created a stricture.

With the CPB, I was able to dish out the Ischial spot, trim the trochanter supports to straighten an obliquity, and trim the front outside lateral supports flat, and keep the center pommell. This setup is just perfect! Keeps my legs apart (they want to stay closed), straightens my pelvis, and off loads my ischial hot spot wonderfully.

Roho should consider offering closed cell foam bases, with different configurations, like Varilite. Their plastic contour bases aren't very useful, and they are heavy.

With the foam, achieving a custom fit is easy.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

I like the Ride Forward I have now. I got an inch taller from it too. I don't know if it would work for you since the deep part in it tends to keep you in one spot. I'm all skin and bones and having sensation, I find it pretty soft and I don't tend to sink much but it all depends, I could see how its weird shape wouldn't work for others. But that's what worked for me, I kept slipping around on others, roho high profile was way too unstable for me and the Jay was well, awful since it felt unnecessarily thick and heavy for something that felt like sitting on a brick.