Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting on SSDI

Thanks. Yeah, disability is about 100 bucks less a month that retiring at 67 and 700 less a month than 70. Retiring at 62 is 700 bucks less a month than disability, so if I decide to "retire" I should probably go SSDI around 60, unless I want to work till I am 70.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    Depends what age you retire. 67 will be comparable, 70 will be more, 62 much less.

The SS website lets you create an online account to get an instant printout of what the #' are based on where you are work-wise, with the SSDI and regular retirement amounts.

I know that feeling. Worked full time for 26 years as a C-4/5, the last few years I was so beat that sometimes I skipped dinner to get straight to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by joshstevens7 View Post
    I have been working full time with T6 complete since my injury almost 11 years ago. i am still very active. I get off work every day and i am worn out. I go home and all i want to do is get on the couch until bed.
    Yeah, I had the same struggle "live to wok -- or work to live," definitely not happy with my lifestyle at the time. I tried part-time work for a few years, then got approved for SSDI. I still work part-time and now and have Medicare. Lost my work insurance after two years on COBRA.

I had enough work "credits" that my SSDI was equal to my full SS at age 66. With my retirement savings and my wife working part-time, we are getting by OK. Loss of a good salary was a big adjustment, make no doubt. But I was in my late 50's when I started SSDI. You may want to think about talking to a SS counselor. Luck of the draw if you get an idiot drone or someone who actually cares and may help you look for a less demanding job.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by joshstevens7
    im starting to wonder if i should try to get on SSDI and then find me a part time job that wont wear me out. i have thought about trying to find a different full time job but i will be taking a huge pay cut probably. I just dont know what to do because im not happy with how its going now. i want to enjoy life, and not be too tired to live it outside of work. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated? thanks

I'm totally shocked about the 26 transfers related to field work for your job. Shoulders, shoulders, shoulders!
    That said, you would probably get SSDI with no problem, but if you think you want to continue working, please consider voc. rehab., get "driver evaluation" which would probably indicate a full sized or mini van. (if mini-van a zx1 or smartDrive would help you get up those ramp entries on mini-van). Request voc. rehab help with van equipment and maybe downpayment, in addition to a zx1 or SmartDrive. You may not want to change your "image" with a van, but consider these things as preserving what you treasure...yourself.

well its now bee 1 1/2 months on unemployment. i am looking for the right job to come along. i want to be passionate about me job now. i am tired of working at something i dont care to do. i talked to voc rehab and they said if i get back on ssdi they will pay for me to go back to school and get my masters degree. i am thinking about doing that and becoming a counselor. i would love to work with the disabled like myself. i feel things happen for a reason and i am like this to help others like me. i dont know what to do. i was making about 50k a year and had 2 insurances and was living a stable financial life. i wasnt making a ton of money but i was getting my bills paid and a lil left over to do whatever with. i still have about 4k in student loans to pay off and about same with credit card. i own my home with a mortgage and both cars are paid off so that is good. im just in the struggle right now to figure out what i am suppose to do with my life

i have thought about trying to get on with human trials somwhere. about ready to sacrafice my body for the greater good. lol i am tired of my neuropathic pain in my legs and ready to figure out how to stop this pain. if i could stop this pain i would be so much happier and in a better mood all the time. thought about getting a stimulator put in and see if that works. i am thinking about going and seeing a counselor or psychiatrist to help me with this transistion to what i should do next. i dont want to live poor but i dont want to work at a job i hate. i am ready to find what i am suppose to do with my life.
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

Josh, who currently is your health insurance? Remember that if you take SSDI that the cost of Medicare Part B come out of your checks. Medicare Part B premiums are based on your previous years Modified Adjusted Gross Income off your 1040 form. You have a great year by winning the jackpot, an elderly, grouching uncle twice removed dies and leaves it all to you it may not count as taxable to the IRS but it will be used to calculate your Part B. No idea about Part D we both have DOD as equal or better.

Josh, I'd get a summer season job if possible and fry the credit card and college debt in order of highness of interest. Then go on SSDI if yo think that is best and you'll only have house payments while going to school.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I stopped working after 21yrs total in July 2013, paralyzed at 12 (and now for 29yrs). I still get bored and miss work and laid in bed depressed over it for a good six months while healing a pressure sore on my rump ... but I have to say, my health has improved. My diet improved (not hungry all the time anymore). I acquired a little dog, Blenheim coloured Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Auntie Em and we go for strolls twice per day. Meeting more people. Hard to find friends on shift work. I cannot tell you how happy I was that this winter was so rough and I did not have to go out in it!

Between my broken flaccid bladder, a recurrence of a wound on my derriere after 25yrs, shoulders that are iffy some days ... I knew I had become undependable plain and simple.

This is what living feels like! For 21yrs it was work, eat, sleep. I still hope to get involved in a few things but I'm still healing.

My mother's side of the family don't live past 65. My father's live well into their 80's and 90's. If paralysis wipes 15yrs off the end of my life, I'm hedging my bets as I turn 42 this Fall.

In short: this was the right decision. I am also saving my shoulders (which grind when I rotate them) for independence as long as I can. That was 65% of what sealed my decision after I hurt my left arm in a fall in the parking lot over a year ago.

I was damned if I was going to work 25-30yrs to only end up in a nursing home because my arms were shot and I couldn't take care of myself any longer! <-- that was key
    Last edited by lynnifer; 05-17-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I once left a job when company was bought-out and let a lot of us go. That job enabled me to buy my first car. I then went on SSDI, started M.A. in counseling and retired after 20 years in the profession. While in school full time I received help with tuition, books, from state voc. rehab.
    I vote for you getting an M.A. in whatever field you choose. You'll have many options, maybe your exact job goal will change later, as often happens.
    You can ask voc. rehab. to schedule testing to determine your interests and capability for completing MA degree, etc. This may help you with your decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    This is what living feels like! For 21yrs it was work, eat, sleep.
    Yep, I'm feeling that effect here too with 12 years SCI working drudgery. Wondering about the lifespan guesstimations I'm coming up with as well. I'm fairly sure I wont be living under a bridge with an almost maxed out SSDI amount being offered, some rental income, and a chunk o' cash which will probably go towards buying a house in the middle of nowhere to 'retire' on. But I'm so chicken to pull the plug though and put myself out to pasture. Really wish my work would go though another mass purge to pare down the dead weight to force the issue, lol. What to do, what to do...

As the old saying goes:
    No one has ever had on their tombstone "I really miss work".

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    What to do, what to do...
    When I was one more fall away from possibly losing my independence, the writing was on the wall. Like I said, I still get bored .. but doggle here takes up a lot of my time and we go wheeling a lot which can't hurt either one of us!
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12