Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of getting on SSDI

Thinking of getting on SSDI

I have been working full time with T6 complete since my injury almost 11 years ago. i am still very active. I get off work every day and i am worn out. I go home and all i want to do is get on the couch until bed. the office carpet i roll on all day wears me out. sometimes i have to leave the office to see clients and such. one day i put my chair together and took it apart 26 times. as much as i want to work and actually make money and live comfortably, im starting to wonder if i should try to get on SSDI and then find me a part time job that wont wear me out. i have thought about trying to find a different full time job but i will be taking a huge pay cut probably. I just dont know what to do because im not happy with how its going now. i want to enjoy life, and not be too tired to live it outside of work. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated? thanks
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

well, if not having to take your chair apart so many times, you might be less worn out at the end of the day. what if you got a vehicle that allowed you to keep your chair whole? or maybe if worked part time from home?

Well, not much to add other than I know where youre coming from. Full time here for some 12 years now. Not much labor involved at my job, but the 8 hours plus commute plus SCI stuff doesn't leave much in the way of 'enjoy' time. Been considering bailing on the work world quite often lately.

On a note about SSDI, no federal tax up to 25K, and no FICA, so that'll boost the take home amount up some for comparison to what you are making now. Might make for a sufficient retirement amount if you have everything else paid off, and other income or savings.

I can't match the 26 times putting my chair together, but I recently got a ZX1 because rolling to and from work was killing me. It has made a big difference in the amount of energy I have and my ability to get stuff done. Maybe power assist would help.

Quote Originally Posted by joshstevens7 View Post
    I have been working full time with T6 complete since my injury almost 11 years ago. i am still very active. I get off work every day and i am worn out. I go home and all i want to do is get on the couch until bed. the office carpet i roll on all day wears me out. sometimes i have to leave the office to see clients and such. one day i put my chair together and took it apart 26 times. as much as i want to work and actually make money and live comfortably, im starting to wonder if i should try to get on SSDI and then find me a part time job that wont wear me out. i have thought about trying to find a different full time job but i will be taking a huge pay cut probably. I just dont know what to do because im not happy with how its going now. i want to enjoy life, and not be too tired to live it outside of work. any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated? thanks

Is there a relation to how much SSDI you would get to how much Social Security you will get if you make it to retirement age?

Quote Originally Posted by joshstevens7 View Post
    At 35 years old (profile), you should contact your local Department of Vocational Rehabilitation and meet with them. They are much easier than working with the feds and will try to help you. If you are working or want to go to school, they will help you with a chair and, if needed, modify a vehicle for you. I was using a power chair, so they paid for modifications to my van, a 2010 Chrysler Town and County. The modifications were around $22,500 but you have to buy your own vehicle. My quality of life skyrocketed after getting this van as I do my own driving and the only limit I have is how long my chair batteries will last.

You can check with SSDI but if you can work, I would work and not bother with SSDI yet.

Good luck.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    I can't match the 26 times putting my chair together, but I recently got a ZX1 because rolling to and from work was killing me. It has made a big difference in the amount of energy I have and my ability to get stuff done. Maybe power assist would help.

how do you get the zx1 out of the car aren't they big and heavy ive been contemplating one of those or the smart drive
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

I don't, I use it in SF to get around and don't have a car there. I have looked into it however and there are some fairly cheap things made for mobility scooters that slot into a trailer hitch for about 300 bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    how do you get the zx1 out of the car aren't they big and heavy ive been contemplating one of those or the smart drive

Check out these sites and see if the gears in your head start turning other directions:

https://weworkremotely.com/
    http://www.flexjobs.com/

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    Is there a relation to how much SSDI you would get to how much Social Security you will get if you make it to retirement age?
    Depends what age you retire. 67 will be comparable, 70 will be more, 62 much less.

The SS website lets you create an online account to get an instant printout of what the #' are based on where you are work-wise, with the SSDI and regular retirement amounts.