Thread: Should I be able to regain walking?

Blog Entries
    Sir, for the past 1 week, i am getting frequent foleys urethral catheter blockage, i am getting catheter blockage for every 24 hrs, then if i flush the catheter with saline water with a syringe, the blockage was gone and urine flows thru the catheter.. Even if i change the catheter, the new one blocks in 2 days.. 1).What r the necessary steps i shud take to avoid catheter blockage and i am sufferin frm uti and taking ofloxacin 400mg twice daily. 2).Can i take di sodium hydrogen citrate to avoid blockage. 3).Is there any precautions needed to avoid catheter blockage.

Blog Entries
    I dnt hav kidney problems, last month i got my blood test and everything remains normal.. Today only i start to flush the catheter, mrng i got blockage and i flushed it, again night it gets blocked and i flushed it.. I am having fever.. I am having this problen since last saturday (past 4 days).

Blog Entries
    I dnt hav kidney problems, last month i got my blood test and everything remains normal.. Today only i start to flush the catheter, mrng i got blockage and i flushed it, again night it gets blocked and i flushed it.. I am having fever.. I am having this problen since last saturday (past 4 days)..

Rajapan, what size catheter are you using and how often do you change them? With the fever you should see your doctor for a urine test and a blood test for high white blood cells also. If you are prescribed antibiotics for a urinary tract infection you should ask for 10 to 14 days of treatment. People who use catheters should be treated as"complicated" infections rather than the normal 3 to 7 days for those who urinate normally. Unless your doctor says differently I would continue flushing with sterile saline and drink lots of water. And try to stay away from refined sugar drinks such as colas.

You might look at www.pva.org and look at their publications for neurogenic bladders. There are free downloads for the patient, you, and another for clinicians, your doctor, for those who may be unfamiliar with how catheters and SCIs effect bladders and kidneys. I know some doctors are difficult to teach new things to but many just say that the information in the downloads is updated regularly by doctors and nurses who work with large amounts of SCI patients in a government setting. General or family doctors cannot be experts in everything. Some even appreciate that their patients are trying to stay healthy and continue on with their lives as much as possible.

If you are having recurrent UTIs due to excessive sediment I recommend flushing the catheter with either sterile water or diluted acetic acid 2-3 times per week if necessary. Look at the end of the catheter tip and see how big the holes are - if they are too small the sediment could be getting easily stuck in there. If you have not had a cystoscopy to look at the interior of your bladder I would recommend it. It would be good to see if there are any stones in your bladder as well.

I agree with Sue's comments. Another thing I recommend is when you are starting on an antibiotic to treat an UTI to change the catheter within 72 hours to get rid of the bacteria on the catheter.

pbr