Thread: Wheelchair Tennis

Wheelchair Tennis

Hello! I have been all over looking for info on how to get started with wheelchair tennis, but it seems like there is nothing close to me. Does anybody know of any lessons, or any type of wheelchair tennis in Stone Mountain, GA? Any information is welcome, including help on how to get equipment.

These folks should be able to help you find something:

http://www.ustageorgia.com/wheelchair/index.htm

http://www.southern.usta.com/communi...lchair_tennis/

https://www.facebook.com/WheelchairTennisAtlanta

http://www.globaltennisnetwork.com/n...nta-wheelchair

Also try contacting the Therapeutic Recreation dept. at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta.

Most people get starting playing with their regular wheelchair. You can advance to a tennis chair once you decide if you really enjoy tennis, and you have learned some technique.

(KLD)

Yes definitely check out the USTA website. There is a Tournament coming up in Atlanta the beginning of May. There is a tournament next weekend in Boca Raton Fl which I'll be at. It's a great sport.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

If I had posted this frustrated plea for help and someone like you came along and essentially blew my doors off with information, exactly what I had been hoping for...well, you think a little thank you would have been in order. So, on behalf of the OP and all the rest of us who've been so kindly given the information we were so desperately seeking: Thank You. Thank you very, very much!

I want to get started with wheelchair tennis as well. I've also read that most people start with their regular wheelchair. What I'm curious about is the racquet. What, if any, are the custom needs there?

No, nothing custom about the racquet other than putting some over grip tape on the stock grip that you need to change every 6 sets or so do to wear against the pushrim when you are pushing holding the racquet. I would not suggest at all playing out of your general chair, you could tip over either sideways or backwards and take a bad fall and get injured. Most decent programs should have a tennis chair you can try to figure out if wheelchair tennis is for you or not. Once you establish you want to keep playing your gonna need to buy a tennis chair. Most people use the quickie match point, just make sure you get the right size chair, you don't want something too big or small.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Right, Curt! The better the chair (i.e. more suited to tennis, higher quality, etc.), the more the chances are you will enjoy the game. The hardest part about wheelchair tennis is MOVEMENT, or as they call it, MOBILITY. If you try to play in a regular chair, you won't have a chance at getting to the ball. And it will be frustrating beyond belief. As Curt says, most programs have loaner chairs. If not, check with the government agency for handicapped sports. Your rehab center or OT should be able to help. If all else fails, CONTACT ONE OF US! Playing wheelchair sports has totally changed my outlook on Life in a Wheelchair. It will change yours, too!

DON'T SIT ON THE SIDELINES OF LIFE, SIT IN THE GAME!