Thread: Rear Wheel Wiggle

Rear Wheel Wiggle

On my new chair that I've only been in twice, the rear wheels both wobble. They are loose at the hub and there is too much play. The little pin or nipple on the axel pops up so there is enough clearance. How do I reduce the clearance (maybe 1/32 or 1/16") to snug up these wheels? Thanks.

What chair? Sounds like you have removeable rear wheels. The pins can be adjusted with a 3/4 inch wrench on the button end and a 7/16 or 1/2 inch wrench on other end where the balls are.

Baldy, The chair is just another Quickie 2 HP ....nothing special....I've just had good luck with them over the years. The rear wheels are your basic 24" Quickie removable wheels with the quick release axel. So are you saying I can pop off the wheel, pull out the axel and put a couple of wrenches to the axel and reduce the space between the axel nut and the little ball? Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Yes, that is exactly what he's saying. There will still be some play, though it can be minimized. The difference between the OD of the axle and the ID of the sleeve will remain, and allow for some wiggle.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Baldy, The chair is just another Quickie 2 HP ....nothing special....I've just had good luck with them over the years. The rear wheels are your basic 24" Quickie removable wheels with the quick release axel. So are you saying I can pop off the wheel, pull out the axel and put a couple of wrenches to the axel and reduce the space between the axel nut and the little ball? Thanks.
    That's exactly what he is saying. Some older quickie axles do not have the flat spots for a wrench. I've just picked a spot on the axle that corresponds to the space between the wheel bearings and used vice grips to hold it. That usually scratches the axle, so it needs to be filed smooth afterwords. But since the filing is in a dead space. Hopefully you have the newer axles.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Don't even have to pull the axle out of the wheel. Just slide it over enough to get the 3/4 on it. You don't need to grab the axle with a vice grip. Use a 1/2 inch wrench on the balls. It will fit over the axle and catch the balls. Just turn it a quarter turn at a time to tighten. I'm a Q2 HP guy also. Mines 30+ years old. You might check the axle sleeve for slop. Take the axle out of the wheel, stick it in the chair and wiggle it. It shouldn't have much movement. If your chair is real old like mine you might need sleeves. I haven't had that problem yet. Other things you can check while your at it: The bolts under the seat for tightness. There's three. You can check the joints between the folding part of the frame and the sides. There are plastic sleeve in there that can wear over time. This site: http://www.quickie-wheelchairs.com/ has parts break down, with pictures. Lots to learn there.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    That's exactly what he is saying. Some older quickie axles do not have the flat spots for a wrench. I've just picked a spot on the axle that corresponds to the space between the wheel bearings and used vice grips to hold it. That usually scratches the axle, so it needs to be filed smooth afterwords. But since the filing is in a dead space. Hopefully you have the newer axles.
    Hey ya old farmer. Keep that vice grip in the tool box. Use a 1/2 on the ball end.

Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    Hey ya old farmer. Keep that vice grip in the tool box. Use a 1/2 on the ball end.
    Nice, that simplifies things, thanks. I assumed that they would retract.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    On my new chair that I've only been in twice, the rear wheels both wobble. They are loose at the hub and there is too much play. The little pin or nipple on the axel pops up so there is enough clearance. How do I reduce the clearance (maybe 1/32 or 1/16") to snug up these wheels? Thanks.
    1/2 inch bolt (solid axles), keep them snugged up. Will be less wobble than you can get with a quick release axle.