Thread: Bed check.

Bed check.

I'm kind of conflicted over this. The building where I live is an Independent/Assisted/Memory Care facility. Technically, I'm in the Independent section and pay for some services on an "a la' carte" basis. I've been here about 18 months and I have had to call for the Care Attendants to come pick me up off the floor 4 or 5 times (last time was in November). I've also had to call for assistance getting into bed on many occasions, although only twice in the last two months.

I'm guessing there are maybe 70-80 residents. I'm probably the youngest at 69...most are in late 70's early 80's. Since I've been here, there have been two deaths in the building...both from hearth failure (I think)...one was found in bed, the other on the floor. After the last one, the building management has instituted a "bed check" program. The policy says that one of the CAs should visit "at risk" patients in the evening to ensure they're in bed safely.

Problem is...when (and even if) the CA shows up is unpredictable. I usually get in bed around 7pm and watch TV until 9-10. About half show up around 8, stick their head in the door and call my name. I answer, they're done. Others don't show up until later and since I'm asleep and don't answer, come into my bedroom to check on me. Occasionally, this wakes me up.

On the one hand, I'm grateful for their concern...on the other hand, annoyed at the invasion of privacy. Not sure what to do about this.

Why can't they just call you on the phone and then if you do not answer make a room visit? It sees like that would be better for both sides. If you are going to sleep early, let them know.

I'll look into that. Maybe better if I could call them once I'm in bed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by willingtocope View Post
    I'll look into that. Maybe better if I could call them once I'm in bed.
    That sounds like the most sensible route...
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3/4 ASIA A 21 years post injury

I would not concern myself over "privacy issues" while being dependent on someone to look after my well being.

Rose Bush
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Well, seems to have been a policy shift. Nobody has checked since last week.

Its not the privacy so much as the "wake up and take this sleeping pill" kind of interruption. (Although, honestly, I might happen to be doing something I'd rather not share).

The assisted living facility my MIL was in had bracelets on all residents for emergencies like falls or unexpected weakness and help needed. Just push the button on it and help came. A few residents also had bed alarms that would show if your weight left the bed so anytime someone very likely to fall if unassisted got up someone checked on them and a few others were checked if they were up longer than a normal bathroom break. I wouldn't much care for the sleeping pill/wake up scenario either. I had enough of that in rehab where meds were at 10pm and cathing was at midnight. I made as many friends as I could so no one was shining that ultra bright overhead light in my eyes at midnight. During the week I could normally find a quick cath before change of shift briefing. I'd try and arrange where you call them. I mean they are offering you a service for pay...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.