Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Rigid Frame Wheelchair Design Options/ideas Discussion Forum

Just like tooley states, check the COG. This sure sounds like what you are describing. As well, how is your upper body essentially sitting in the chair relative to the location of the COG. Not a joke, your head weighs a lot. You can very easily alter simply by your location of butt and upper body while moving.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I agree with Oddity on the Freewheel idea. Have you tried one? My favorite WC is an out of production three wheel design that I put a larger front wheel on along with other changes. The three wheel design is fantastic for going over rough terrain. With a production Freewheel you can remove it to use the chair indoors, so you get two for one useability.
    I haven't tried one, yet. I was just looking online at some videos, reall cool! I woul like to see what you did with the 3 wheel design if you don't mind. Can you post or email me some pictures? ryan_dulina@yahoo.com
    I do think the three wheel design would be better/best. I am wondering about the stability, I would imagine if the back wheels were wide enough in combination with a shorter wheel base it would be rock solid.? What about tipping over?

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    check out the centre-of-gravity setting on the OP's chair. Before you get excited building/buying, blowing resources on a new ride you need to trouble-shoot what's wrong with your current one. It's not the nameplate on it nor the wheels and tires. It's the geometry. Start adjusting that badboy. Put in some effort. It's not fun but it will pay off. In spades.

You need to lighten up that front-end. Right now, with the rear wheels so far back (as far back as they go, it appears), all your weight is between the 4 wheels. Which means an awful lot of it on those front casters. You, as an L1, HAVE TRUNK! By this I mean your abs work. Anyone with functioning mid-section should be running almost 4" COG, some people even more. You should be able to (almost) wheelie your chair without using your hands to pop up the front end. Try it. You will be amazed how much easier your chair rolls over surface irregularities (ie. sidewalk cracks) .. it will keep you out of the ER, too.

Thanks for the information. I will be working on the adjustments to the rear axle tonight and will let you know what it feels like. I will also post photos for you to look at.
    Thanks for your help!

Ryan

It also looks like your feet are barely on the foot rest. From the bit I can see, its possible the seat is too long, front to back. Check your dump also. What kind of cushion are you on? Are you using anti tips?
    As an example of what the guys are talking about, adjusting your chair: When I met my girl friend, she fell out of her chair a lot. I changed the COG and added a little dump. She now jumps curbs like a pro. And I took her to New Orleans and even drunk, she negotiated their 100+ year old side walks.
    Like Tooley says, at your injury level, the front wheels should just be for sitting on when your stopped.

I heartily endorse you reconfiguring the chair and learning to wheelie. Find examples how on youtube if you can't find them here. I am in awe of those who are so fortunate to have the strength and balance to do so. I can time going over a bump, but that is about it for me.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmichael View Post
    I haven't tried one, yet. I was just looking online at some videos, reall cool! I woul like to see what you did with the 3 wheel design if you don't mind. Can you post or email me some pictures? ryan_dulina@yahoo.com
    I do think the three wheel design would be better/best. I am wondering about the stability, I would imagine if the back wheels were wide enough in combination with a shorter wheel base it would be rock solid.? What about tipping over?

Ryan
    I'll try to post a pic, but remember mine is a rebuild and not from scratch. It is not tippy unless you reach for the floor at a forward angle, but in normal use, it's pretty darn stable. I thought there would be more room for a footrest, and maybe there is, instead I use a chair with one when I need it. Name:  ltsidesm.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  77.6 KB The SmartDrive works nicely with this setup.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.