Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's official, has moved to a power chair

It's official, has moved to a power chair

I can't stand it. The damn thing is huge (compared to my manual chair) but I wasn't able to offload the pressure on my butt to help heal this damn sore I've had for going on two years now. It's gotten considerably better over the past few days even with me being up for a few hours at a time. It's hard to stay on bed rest because of my back pain and I feel like it's just making my pain worse. They have me turning every few hours here in this facility and it's driving me nuts with this pain in my hip. I've got a bum shoulder on my right side and severe pain in my hip on my left side. We've mapped me laying flat on my back and there is absolutely no pressure on my sore which is on my right trochanter. I'm hoping to find a new place to live closer to where all the spinal cord injury stuff is in Phoenix. I'm 25 miles away from it right now and have to depend on doctors appointments transportation just to get out of here if I don't get company to help me with my messed up van. Oh well, this is life
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Having never used a power chair, how does it allow you to offload pressure better than a manual?
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

If you have a power chair with tilt-in-space, you can use this feature to do a weight shift as long as you tilt back at least 45 degrees.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If you have a power chair with tilt-in-space, you can use this feature to do a weight shift as long as you tilt back at least 45 degrees.

(KLD)
    Thanks
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

That's what I'm doing. I'm unable to lift myself off the seat in my manual chair so I've been leaning forward to get the pressure off my right trochanter (I got that from shorts being bunched up on a Ride Design cushion that offloads my ischiums). I lost a lot of strength being on bed rest for as long as I've been and have a hard time just getting around anymore in my manual chair. I was never a spectacular but at least I can get up some ramps, door jams and stuff like that. I pressure mapped pretty well in both chairs, just much better in my power chair. Last time I was in a power chair I had put on around 50 pounds so I've been very reluctant to do it again. The facility I live in doesn't offer me the opportunity to go places to push around to keep my strength up. I'm trying to locate another facility closer to where the spinal cord injury stuff is in the Phoenix area. Scott Hogsett, one of the main characters in Murderball, lives in Tempe just outside of Phoenix right by all the wheelchair sports venues and gyms in Phoenix. He had been bugging me to play rugby for a long time. I wish I could live on my own again but with my seizures, the last two almost killing me, I'm kind of scared to and at least if I have a grand mal seizure in my power chair it's not like I can fall out of it like I could my manual chair. All the seizures I've had have been in bed but I don't want to tempt fate.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Thanks, ry. Hope you find better living arrangements soon

weight management . . . ugh
    Chas
    TiLite TR3

<
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Hi RyBread,

I began using a powerchair in 2003. I was using a generic manual chair around my house. The carpet was murderous and pushing the chair blistered my hands. Then I got my first powerchair and my quality of life greatly improved. Now I can go any distance I want and no blistered hands. I got a lowered van so I can go any where and any time I desire and at 7 MPH...try this in a manual chair. I have tilt-in-space and also a seat elevator. Life is good! Give it a couple of months and come back and let us know how you like your new ride.

Good luck.

Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Ry, would you be able to use a table-top ergometer where you are? This is good cardio and would help burn some calories.

There is a good adapted exercise program at Glendale Community College. Any chance you can get there?

(KLD)

I am curious where you live, is it a Nursing Home or a spinal specific housing?
    C5-6 Complete - 8/13/1982

I heard there's an adaptive workout program at Glendale community college but have no way of getting there. Public transportation will only take me to city limits. The place I'm in is an assisted living but it's mostly head injuries here. I feel very out of place and several of my nurses who have come in have agreed with me. Oh well, not much I can do about it until I find a place.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ